Monday, October 19, 2020

Fu-Unmaru Mody House 風雲丸 (Hong Kong, CHINA) ★★☆☆☆

I'm meeting my hair stylist again in Tsim Sha Tsui and like the case as always, I'm pretty excited to explore the food scene in an area that I'm starting to get really familiar with.


For some reason, I found myself a bit hooked to Japanese ramen noodles these days. It's my fourth one this month and there's no sign of me slowing down at all. I decided to have my ramen tonight at Fu-Unmaru (風雲丸), a Japanese ramen shop originated from Hiroshima (廣島), who specializes in tsukemen (沾麵).


Tonkotsu ramen with fish powder (豚骨魚介拉麵) - My server was trying to sell me on their afternoon-tea special, which was shoyu (soy sauce based) ramen with fish powder. I paused for a moment trying to decide if it's a good deal. But as soon as I tried to get more information on this special deal, I realized that the broth (shoyu with fish powder) was actually a formula put together in the local market rather than a tried-and-tested one from Japan. So, my quick answer was a resounding no! Instead, I am getting my tonkotsu ramen with fish powder despite dropping a few more bucks in the process.

I remembered having this last year in Wanchai and I enjoyed the broth quite a bit but not this time around. Tonight, I found it a lot stronger than I have anticipated (strong in a bad way I guess) and the worst part, the flavors just weren't balanced enough. The flavors from the pork bone, in particular, were way too rich to a point that the fish flavor barely registered (and they were working individually rather than together!). In fact, it was very very salty and I couldn't stop drinking water after the meal.

Fu-Unmaru Mody House (風雲丸) - Tonkotsu ramen with fish powder (豚骨魚介拉麵)

This came with bamboo shoots, spring onion and barbecued pork. Soft-boiled egg was extra. The thick slab of pork a bit chewy.

Fu-Unmaru Mody House (風雲丸) - Tonkotsu ramen with fish powder (豚骨魚介拉麵)

The thick noodles were fine though. Absorbing the flavors of the broth rather nicely (too bad the broth wasn't that good).

Fu-Unmaru Mody House (風雲丸) - Tonkotsu ramen with fish powder (豚骨魚介拉麵)

This likely ended my recent run of Japanese ramen slurping. 




Food Rating: 4/10
Price: $$$
Address: G/F, Mody House, 30 Mody Road, Tsim Sha Tsui, Hong Kong
Closest Metro Station: Tsim Sha Tsui / East Tsim Sha Tsui
Tel: +852 2513-0693
Opening Hours: 12:00pm - 11:00pm (Mon - Thu), 12:00pm - 12:00am (Fri - Sun)



Post a Comment

Please tell us what you think