Friday, March 27, 2020

Butterfly Patisserie (Hong Kong, CHINA) ★★★★☆

I have been thinking about a return trip to The Butterfly Room for months but the fact that the elegant all-day lounge at Rosewood Hong Kong is always fully booked had altered my plans completely.



Even with the recent Coronavirus outbreak, it was at full capacity this afternoon so I ended up getting some pastries on the go instead.



Award-winning executive pastry chef Holger Deh has breathed new life into his collection of confections at Butterfly Patisserie since my last visit.



No longer there was his famous Black Forest cake but reinforcements arrived just in the form of Oolong & Guava, Green tea & Cherry, and a couple of others.



Old Meets New - My favorite White Cheese Yuzu cake (left) and this new Oolong & Guava cake (right), which I had the feeling that it might become a new favorite of mine.



Let's see how these two compare to each other.



Oolong & Guava ($68) - This has been infused with oolong tea for 24 hours. A nice blend of east and west, that combines flavors of classic Chinese tea with exotic guava and a layer of vanilla sponge.



This reminded me of another tea infused pastry I had a few weeks ago from Peninsula Boutique called Tea Pot with jasmine tea cream and osmanthus jelly. I gave the slight edge to the Tea Pot but this was beautifully done as well.



White Cheese Yuzu ($68) - A balance between a baked and mousse-like cheesecake as they describe it.



Very light and airy, with a hint of Tahitian Vanilla and zesty yuzu. I think it keeps its place as my favorite here with the Oolong & Guava coming in as a close second.





Food Rating: 7/10
Price: $$$
Address: 2/F, Rosewood Hong Kong, 18 Salisbury Road, Tsim Sha Tsui, Hong Kong
Closest Metro Station: Tsim Sha Tsui
Tel: +852 3891-8732
Website: www.rosewoodhotels.com/en/hong-kong/dining/butterfly-patisserie
Opening Hours: 11:00am - 10:00pm daily



Post a Comment

Please tell us what you think