Sunday, July 8, 2018

Chatterbox (Singapore, SINGAPORE) ★★★★☆

I remembered I once stayed here at Mandarin Orchard Hotel almost a decade ago. Even had breakfast here at Chatterbox. No Hainanese chicken though as they were serving breakfast food at the time. Time really flies.



Looks like they had a facelift not too long ago but everything else remains the same. They still have one of the most popular Hainanese chicken rice in the city. The only change is perhaps adding some contemporary dishes like Chatterbox lobster laksa and wok-fried laksa with Kurobuta pork to their repertoire.



Mandarin chicken rice (SGD$27) - I don't think we're allowed to leave without ordering their signature Mandarin chicken rice. This is pretty standard that a chicken rice set comes with rice, chicken soup and a mix of chilli, ginger and dark soya sauce.



I thought the chicken was fairly tender. Somehow I found it not as tasty as the one I had yesterday morning at Chin Chin but definitely not bad (Because of the sesame oil?).



Char Kway Teow (SDG$28) - I think I've mentioned on a number of occasions that I am a fan of traditional Singaporean dishes. I used to work for two Singaporean bosses in the past who taught me a lot about their cuisine and even up until now, I can't get enough of Char Kway Teow, Hokkien noodles and fried carrot cakes (To a lesser extent, chicken rice). Too bad Hong Kong doesn't have that many good Singaporean restaurants around.

This plate of wok-fried rice noodle with prawns, cockle, fish cake and crispy anchovy was just seriously good. Tossed in a sweet soya sauce with a slightly spicy kick, it was exactly what I was looking for. 



Herbal Bak Kut Teh (SDG$27) - Another popular dish around here. The pork ribs which have been soaked in herbal soup, was really tender and full of flavors from the herbs. This came with golden bean curd, tofu and mushrooms.



Wok-fried carrot cake (SDG$?) - Another one of my favorite Singaporean dish. It wasn't on the regular menu but I was thrilled to find it on one of their special menu. This was beautifully cooked. Just too bad I had to share it with three others.



I came in expecting their chicken rice to be the heart and soul but as it turned out, they have a lot more to offer than just their signature Mandarin chicken rice. 





Food Rating: 6/10
Price: $$$
Address: Level 5, Mandarin Orchard Hotel, 333 Orchard Road, Singapore 238867
Closest Metro Station: Somerset
Tel: +65 6737-4411
Website: Link



Post a Comment

Please tell us what you think