Thursday, October 24, 2019

Tiffany Blue Box Cafe (Hong Kong, CHINA) ★★★☆☆

For months, I have been hearing about Asia's first Tiffany Blue Box Cafe opening at One Peking in Tsim Sha Tsui but yet no words on when and where the online reservation would start. After patiently waiting for a few months, I finally got confirmation from my Korean foodie friend that online booking has officially started on Chope.



The original Tiffany Blue Box Cafe in New York City is famed for its breakfast and afternoon tea sets but I'm going to check out their dinner set first.



Dinner started off with a playful welcome drink. A ball-shaped marshmallow melted immediately as soon as my server poured the Tiffany blue colored pop into the glass. I didn't even have time for a photo before the marshmallow evaporated in front of my very own eyes.



Just when I was still enjoying my elderflower drink, I needed to get my camera ready again because my hamachi carpaccio was ready to be served.



This was beautifully plated with the bed of thinly sliced hamachi topped elegantly with radish, shallots, fresh chives, wasabi cress and paprika. The colorful dish was finished off with a lemony dressing that brilliantly brought out the sweetness of the carpaccio.



I really like the pacing here. As a solo diner, you really don't want to wait around for 10 to 15 minutes for the next dish.

As soon as they took away the plate from my starter, it was almost immediately swapped with my main dish. Meet my roasted Spanish pork loin, wonderfully complemented by bean sprouts and variations of carrot. This wasn't bad at all, albeit a bit heavy-handed with the sprinkle of fresh pepper.



I was really looking forward to dessert coz after all, this branch of Tiffany Blue Box Cafe is in collaboration with the Upper East Group, who's behind the local Lady M franchise and the upcoming opening of Dominique Ansel Hong Kong. Needless to say, they should know a thing or two about desserts.



I popped a tricky question to my server when I was placing my order. "What's your best dessert?" I asked. After pausing for a few seconds, he looked me straight into my eyes and said, "Caramel popcorn chocolate tart, our most popular dessert". Well, that's not my question, is it? Popular doesn't always mean best but in this case, I would take his word for it. 



This is a pretty instagrammable dessert for the ladies but for me, it's just a typical chocolate tart with some funky toppings. On top of the chocolate tart was a tower made with chocolate ganache, praline royaltine, mascarpone cream and caramelized popcorn, served with mascarpone ice-cream on the side. I have to admit, the texture and flavor profile wasn't bad but it was hardly the sophisticated dessert I was expecting from the brain trust behind Lady M.



It's unfair to judge Tiffany Blue Box Cafe at this point since it's still very much in its infant stage. But early results (from my dinner) were promising and once they iron out some of their issues (like the heavy-handness with fresh pepper), they should be a safe bet for a hearty meal (style-wise, expect something along the line of Dalloyau Bistro).

P.S. The 3-course dinner set cost $458. Not exactly cheap.


Food Rating: 6/10
Price: $$$$
Address: Shop#207-208, Lobby Floor, One Peking, Tsim Sha Tsui, Hong Kong
Closest Metro Station: Tsim Sha Tsui
Tel: +852 2362-9828
Opening Hours: 8:00am - 10:00pm (Weekday), 9:00am - 10pm (Weekend)


1 comment:

  1. There is so much in this article that I would never have thought of on my own. Your content gives readers things to think about in an interesting way. Tiffany Ko

    ReplyDelete

Please tell us what you think