Thursday, February 7, 2019

Restaurante Botín (Madrid, SPAIN) ★★★★☆

Founded in 1725, Sobrino de Botín is the oldest restaurant who's continuously operating in the world, according to the Guinness Book of Records.



They have a a very nice scale model of their 3-story building displayed from their window. I wonder if this was the original design right from year 1725.



We have been to many century-old eateries in the world but this one just easily beats out all the competitions because it's been around for almost three centuries. Imagine that for a moment.



I know we're in very good hands when this handsome gentleman is handling our order. (Forgot to ask his name...)



After a few words with the restaurant manager, he went through his reservation list and informed us that our table has been arranged in the basement level. But where's the elevator?



I don't suppose they have an elevator in a century-old building but I also didn't expect such a steep stairway to the basement right next to the kitchen door.



After banging my head on these stone walls a couple of times, I finally made it to the basement without further injuries (I was carrying my little nugget down with me).



That's a really charming dining room hidden in the basement. I wish there're more of these (so perfectly preserved after centuries) in the world.



I have already got a glimpse of their food menu before the trip so I knew exactly what to order.

Restaurante Botín, Madrid - Food Menu

White asparagus (€14.20) - These were huge and really sweet with a slight tinge of bitterness. Would have been even better if they were served lukewarm instead of cold.



Artichoke hearts (€12.30) - The artichoke hearts were simply tossed with Iberian ham and olive oil, and they were seriously delicious. Love how the salty notes from the crispy Iberian ham balanced out the bitterness of the artichoke.



Roast suckling pig (€25.40) - The house specialty. I was worried about this being too salty but to my pleasant surprise, it was more on the bland side (comparing to our Chinese suckling pig). I thought the meat was really tender and juicy but the skin didn't have the same crisp texture like the ones we got from our Chinese suckling pig.



Crema Catalana (€6.70) - The Spanish version of creme brulee. A sweet end to a very nice meal.


I was really worried about this place being a tourist trap before the trip but things turned out just fine. The basement dining room was every bit as charming as what I've seen from online photos and the food, though not mind blowing by any stretch of imagination (and not expected to be), was reasonably good for any palate. This is a must for any tourist visiting Madrid for the first time.





Food Rating: 6/10
Price: €€€
Address: Calle de Cuchilleros, 17, 28005 Madrid, Spain
Closest Metro Station: Tirso de Molina
Tel: +34 913-664217
Website: www.botin.es



Post a Comment

Please tell us what you think