Friday, February 1, 2019

Angelina Paris (Paris, FRANCE) ★★★★☆

After bringing mom to Caffè Florian, one of the oldest coffee shops in the world (1720) while we were in Venice back in 2017, it was time to introduce her to Angelina, the century-old Parisian institution on our second day in Paris. Not surprisingly, there was a huge lineup in front of their famous tea room on Rue de Rivoli. It's just business as usual.



I took some time to check out their patisserie counter while my teammates were waiting in line.



I knew it's 5:30PM but I thought there's still a long way to go before the tea room closes. Is that all they've got left (some lemon tarts, mille feuille and Paris-Brest)?



And finally, our turn!



It's my third visit to this coveted tea salon but only the first time taking things upstairs.



Well, not as glamorous as the ground-floor salon but the belle époque décor is very much alive here.



Old-fashioned hot chocolate "l'Africain" (€8.20) - They've got one of the best hot chocolate drink in Paris, probably right behind Ladurée's.



It came with a side of fresh whipped cream which I gladly spooned into my chocolate drink. It was velvety smooth and not too sweet. I couldn't help but slowly enjoy my every delicious sip.



White hot chocolate (€8.20) - This wasn't available in the Angelina tea salons in Dubai and Singapore so Jelloman thought it was a no-brainer for her. It was silky like my hot chocolate "l'Africain" but a lot sweeter without the deep bitterness. This one is for those who can't overcome bitterness in life. ha, just kidding.



Mont-Blanc (€7.00) - A trip to Angelina is not complete without their sumptuous Mont Blanc cake, I was once told. 



After enjoying the deliciously decadent Mont blanc tart at Karamel this morning, I knew what everybody would say about this one. Yes, the chestnut vermicelli could have been a little bit softer and the fresh cream underneath could have been more foamy. But I guess it's not fair to compare something designed more than a century ago with what we've got now, because the techniques are all different.



Mom is obviously over the moon. It's going to get harder to impress her now that she has raised the bar high.

Note: If you don't want to wait in line for 30-40 minutes, follow this link to their online reservation system to save you time and energy.


Food Rating: 6/10
Price: €€€€
Address: 226 Rue de Rivoli, 75001 Paris, France
Closest Metro Station: Tuileries
Tel: +33 (0)1 4260-8200
Website: www.angelina-paris.fr


Post a Comment

Please tell us what you think