Saturday, February 23, 2019

BÊP Vietnamese Kitchen (Hong Kong, CHINA) ★★★☆☆

Every time I walk by BÊP (Vietnamese for "Vietnamese Kitchen") on Staunton Street, the place always seems to be full of happy faces. I thought to myself, the food there must be pretty darn good. So, when I first learned they've opened an outlet at Olympian City, I decided to bring my family down.



It was pretty early so not surprisingly, lots of empty seats.



Ca Tim Chien Nhoi Tom (煎釀小茄子) ($58) - Vietnamese stuffed baby eggplant. They had the baby eggplants cut into flower bud shape before stuffing them full with shrimp mousse. Very tasty and surprisingly not as oily as I thought.



Pho Tai (生牛肉粉) ($80) - Vietnamese noodle soup with thinly sliced sirloin cooked medium rare. Yeah, no way we're going to leave without this fan favorite.



I grew up with a ton of Vietnamese restaurants in Canada but never genuinely liked the cuisine, particularly pho or noodle soup because I thought the broth was way too flavorful and herby for me. But this one at BÊP was an outlier. The broth was really lightly seasoned which was more up my alley. 



Bun Xuong Nuong (燒豬扒撈檬) ($88) - Rice vermicelli with pan roasted honey glaze pork cutlet. One of my favorite dishes from Vietnamese cuisine and there aren't that many of them. The pork cutlet was seriously tasty and I like the rice vermicelli which was again lightly seasoned without going over the top.



Cai Lan Mam (蝦米仔芥蘭苗) ($58) - The crunchy Chinese kale was tossed in a sweet soy sauce with crushed peanuts and Vietnamese dried shrimps. 



Very rare would you associate Vietnamese food (or Asian food) with eating healthy but tonight, that was exactly how I felt. Healthy food! Asian food (such as Thai) are often associated with the heavy use of spices and herbs but tonight's dinner at BÊP demonstrated that they could do it with less oil and seasoning as well. I guess I won't mind coming back again for more in the future.


Food Rating: 5.5/10
Price: $$
Address: G/F, G70 Olympian City 2, Tai Kok Tsui, Hong Kong
Closest Metro Station: Olympic
Tel: +852 2385-3777
Website: www.bep.hk


Post a Comment

Please tell us what you think