Monday, February 4, 2019

Restaurant Champeaux at Les Halles (Paris, FRANCE) ★★★☆☆

Last year, we spent some time at le Forum des Halles, one of the largest modern shopping mall in Central Paris.



Almost everything here has been built underground and it's directly connected to the transit hub of Châtelet-Les-Halles. It reportedly draws more than 100,000 visitors on a daily basis.



Since we only spent a short time walking around Les Halles last time around, Jelloman suggested spending a little more time here, which I couldn't agree more.



But before we checked out the shops in the mall, it's time to fill up the gas first. Luckily, the clock just struck 12 and Restaurant Champeaux (a contemporary brasserie by Alain Ducasse) at the ground level of Les Halles has just opened for business.



I love a stylish restaurant with a warm and welcoming atmosphere while still maintaining the simplicity of its décor.



As much as I love chic design, I'm even more into throwback themes. Check this split-flap display out! Didn't we use to have some of these at every train station and airport (man, I feel old already!)? They're using this to show their daily specials.



Cheese puff - Some welcoming bites to get things started. Not bad.



The homemade country bread was pretty nice too but I was more interested in the hat-shaped tray.



French onion soup (€14.00) - Jelloman has been complaining about not having a French onion soup since touching down in Paris. This was pretty intense just by looking at it. 



6 Fines de claire N3 oysters (€16.00) - This was paired with shallots and pepper. Very fresh with the lovely, briny flavors.



Chicken soufflé (€16.00) - I was going to get ourselves a cheese soufflé to share but changed my mind at the very last minute. Now, I'm starting to regret not getting one. 



I had my change of heart because I saw this chicken soufflé on the menu and was curious of what it was. It tasted a lot like frozen chicken parfait with black truffle. I'm not so sure if it should be called a soufflé. Perhaps a pudding!? 



Roasted cod (€24.00) - After having way too much meat in the last two days, I decided to get myself some fish this afternoon. The roasted cod fish looked more like it's been poached but that's okay with me. It was served with variations of cauliflower and a really weird balsamic vinegar sauce.



Seared sea scallops (€28.00) - Mom had arguably the most delicious dish of the afternoon. She was raving about her seared sea scallops with Jerusalem artichoke pureé and potatoes. Very aromatic dish that I could smell from quite far away.



One thing I really appreciated was the kids' menu. Macaroni with a little bit of ham (no cheese) for our little one. I wish more restaurants in Asia could be more kids friendly like they do in Europe.








Food Rating: 5/10
Price: €€€
Address: Forum des Halles, Rue Rambuteau, 75001 Paris, France
Closest Metro Station: Les Halles
Tel: +33 (0)1 5345-8450
Website: www.restaurant-champeaux.com



Post a Comment

Please tell us what you think