Friday, March 3, 2023

Roganic (Hong Kong, CHINA) ★★★★☆

Following the disappointment from some of my recent meals (Petrus and Seventh Son), I figured I needed something delicious but safe at the same time. After all, I have just recovered from my month-long flu so a delicious meal is exactly what the doctor orders. Out of all the restaurants which have been consistently great for me over the past few years, Roganic is near the top of the list and for very good reasons. Needless to say, it's going to be the safe bet that I was looking for this afternoon.



As usual, I parked myself just in front of the open kitchen at the Michelin starred British restaurant. A familiar territory for me.


Whipped ceps with yeast, lovage and grains – The lone nibble today was a crispy cracker topped with a mix of whipped ceps, yeast, lovage purée and grains.



The layers of complex flavors were so strong that I could hardly taste the individual ingredients there.



Parker house roll with brown cultured English butter – My favorite soda bread was gone!! 😢 I tried to plead my case to my server but without success.

This wasn't bad especially with the decadent brown cultured butter but it's still no comparison to the pillowy, muffin-like soda bread.



Marjoram brined sweetheart cabbage, crispy hen of the wood mushroom, turnip brothI had this cabbage dish for a few times now but every time it came with a different presentation and details.

This time around, the slightly burnt cabbage was rolled up into a cylinder, and garnished with crispy hen of the wood mushrooms and microgreens before being finishing off with a mildly-flavored turnip broth. A sharp contrast to the previous dish with a much simpler flavors.



Dry aged duck with smoked beetroot, aromatic herbs and elderflower vinegar – This was the dish that I have been patiently waiting for since I stepped through those doors. 



The duck from Hop Wo Ho poultry was aged in-house for 14 days before it’s glazed in a special local honey giving the flesh unbelievable texture and flavor.  The second serving of the duck came in the form of confit duck meat, which was decorated beautifully with poached beetroot cylinders, pickled beetroot ribbons, orange and mustard seeds.



Perfect proportion of crispy skin, fat and flesh. I love the sauce made with duck bones, wings and neck, blended with smoked beetroot juice for some extra sweetness. Nothing from the duck was wasted here.



Roasted chicory root custard tart with Taiwan vanilla ice cream and molasses – I was a little tired of the milk tea custard tart so was definitely thrilled to see a different dessert on the menu today.

The chicory root custard came with this sweet yet savory taste which was very interesting for my palate. It meshed with the toppings of chicory root powder, cocoa powder and Taiwan vanilla ice-cream on the side. Just the perfect ending to a very good meal.







Food Rating: 7/10
Price: $$$
Address: Shop 8, UG/F, Sino Plaza, 255 Gloucester Road, Causeway Bay, Hong Kong
Closest Metro Station: Causeway Bay
Tel: +852 2817-8383
Opening Hours: 12:00pm - 2:30pm, 6:00pm - 10:30pm (Tue - Sun)



Post a Comment

Please tell us what you think