Sunday, September 1, 2019

Angelini at Kowloon Shangri-La Hong Kong (Hong Kong, CHINA) ★★★☆☆

We got back from Jeju Island just in time for the last day of Restaurant Week Summer Edition on Sunday. As usual, I picked a restaurant that I have not been to for decades. Last time, it was Madam S'ate getting the nod but this one went back even further. The last time I went to Angelini at Kowloon Shangri-La Hong Kong, it was probably the restaurant's grand opening! That had to be a long long while ago.

(After double checking my previous posts, my last visit to Angelini was actually March, 2013 but it was a special pop-up event with the food menu designed by guest chef Valentino Marcattilii from Ristorante San Domenico in Imola Italy. Chef Marcattilii had two Michelin stars at the time. I hope I spell his name right!)



Angelini's kitchen is currently helmed by Chef de Cuisine Andrea Burzio who has all but 4 months of experience working in Hong Kong (all with Angelini). The much traveled chef from Turin Italy has previously worked in Philippines (Cebu), France (Aix-en-Provence), Thailand (Bangkok), Myanmar and Switzerland. His style of cooking is said to be heavily influenced by the Piedmont region's rich geography and culture (We shall see...).



We were seated by the window so we got to enjoy a partial harbour view.



Some homemade bread and grissini were brought over to us to munch on while we waited for our starters to show up.



Scallop carpaccio, burrata, cherry tomatoes, quinoa - The presentation looked a bit messy or artful depending on how you look at it. I thought the sweetness of the scallop really caught me by surprise. The combination of the carpaccio and burrata was an interesting one that was quite refreshing for the palate.



Mazara red prawn confit, tomato tartare, almond sauce - I liked the design of the dish with the rich almond sauce providing that nice and smooth mouthfeel. 



The sauce was outstanding with the red prawn confit and caper but I'd love my tomatoes to be a bit more ripe. 



Pumpkin soup - A pretty "standard" pumpkin soup. Decent.



Seabass, green pea, mint, chlorophyll oil - I followed up my seafood starter with another dish from the sea. The branzino was done pretty nicely with slices of grilled zucchini on top, finished off in fine fashion with variations of green peas, green asparagus, pearl onion and potato cubes. I like the sauce which has been perfumed with mint.



Grouper tortelli, clams marinara, Sicilian lemon - Finally, some influence from Piedmont cuisine although this wasn't the typical tortelli I was expecting from Piedmont (like traditional agnolotti). This wasn't bad. The grouper tortelli was nicely complemented by a clams marinara sauce. I didn't get the zesty flavors promised from the Sicilian lemon. 



Angelini's signature tiramisu - I was really looking forward to dessert because it's the restaurant's signature dessert, tiramisu.



If it's as good as any of these tiramisu on my top 10 list, I'll be a very happy camper.



It was indeed heavenly! Incredibly light and airy but yet you still get the wonderful flavor and texture from each layer. Yum~



We still got enough time to enjoy a cup of tea after the tiramisu.



This was amazing value for money (at $338 on a Sunday) but probably not quite enough to lure me back any time soon.

Food Rating: 6/10
Price: $$$
Address: 64 Mody Road, Tsim Sha Tsui East, Kowloon, Hong Kong
Closest Metro Station: East Tsim Sha Tsui
Tel: +852 2733-8750
Website: www.shangri-la.com/hongkong/kowloonshangrila/dining/restaurants/angelini/
Opening Hours: 12:00pm - 2:00pm / 6:30pm - 10:00pm daily


Post a Comment

Please tell us what you think