Thursday, September 12, 2019

Butao Ramen Tsim Sha Tsui 豚王 (Hong Kong, CHINA) ★★★☆☆

The grand daddy of tonkotsu ramen in Hong Kong has a new address in Tsim Sha Tsui. Butao Ramen (豚王) shot to fame when they first opened in a back alley near Lan Kai Fong (Wo On Lane to be exact) back in 2010. I still recalled waiting more than an hour for my first bowl of tonkotsu ramen there. I thought it's time for me to get re-acquainted with their famed pork bone broth again tonight.



Touted as one of the few authentic Japanese ramen shops at the time, Butao Ramen became an instant hit in the city's ever-changing dining scene. It was also the talk of the town because of their self-imposed daily limit of 200 bowls.



Nine years later, not only have they expanded to Taikoo City, Tsim Sha Tsui, Shatin and TKO, they have also made their debuts north of the border in Shenzhen and Shanghai. In fact, I've been told that the group behind the famed ramen shop has recently gone public too.



Butao Ramen Original ($89) - I decided to check out their new branch at Champagne Court (relocated from Minden Avenue). It's been a while since I last had their signature tonkotsu ramen so despite my temptation to try their other ramen (Black King - squid ink, Red King - red spicy sauce on top of their signature pork soup and Green King -olive oil, basil leaves and parmesan), I ended up sticking with my first decision.



The pork bone broth was really what made Butao so popular a decade ago. It's creamy, rich and sticky enough for the noodles to carry. But on the flip side, the pork belly was way too fatty for a health-conscious person like me (perhaps I should have gone for the shoulder part instead of belly). Most importantly, I found the noodles and rest of the ingredients involved (black fungus and cabbage) a bit uninspiring.

It's still slightly above average for a local Japanese ramen shop but it's pretty much down the pecking order with so many better options around.




Food Rating: 5.5/10
Price: $$$
Address: Shop No.6, G/F, Champagne Court, 40-46 Carnarvon Road, Tsim Sha Tsui, Hong Kong
Closest Metro Station: Tsim Sha Tsui
Tel: +852 3189-1200


Post a Comment

Please tell us what you think