Thursday, April 25, 2019

Kuro Shabu (Hong Kong, CHINA) ★★★☆☆

After finishing up my birthday trip in Singapore last week, it was time to start the celebration with my friends who happened to remember that very special day right here in Hong Kong. Tonight, I'm meeting up with my buddy V who told me I didn't have to worry about our dinner venue. He's got everything lined up. That was exactly what I wanted to hear.

He ended up picking a new shabu shabu place on Hollywood Road called Kuro Shabu. It's situated on the ground floor right underneath Blue Butcher, which by the way will be closing soon.



Judging by the luxurious decor, I would imagine it's an upscale shabu shabu they've got here. But since V is picking up the tab, that's the least I was going to worry about.



And thank goodness I wasn't paying tonight because the set menu certainly didn't look cheap. They range from $438 all the way to $788. The Kuro Omasake set ($788) was the one V picked tonight for the both of us.



Some welcoming sake to kick things off.



I was really looking forward to this since I haven't had shabu shabu for a while. I'm also curious in how those homemade sauce made with yuzu and mustard fare with their premium meat.



We didn't have to wait very long before they presented us with a bowl of seasonal vegetables. At the same time, they started setting us up with our broth. It's a clear broth and I've heard something about water with seaweed and kombu (Our server was Taiwanese so I didn't get everything he said). 



We started off with some thin sliced wagyu beef first.



These belonged to different cuts of wagyu, from shoulder clod, tenderloin to what they called "Outside" which is the shank region.



Honestly, I couldn't tell the difference.



All I knew was that it worked rather well with the homemade mustard sauce and soy.



Next up from our omasake menu was pork. Again different cuts with various degree of fattiness. The beef was obviously the crown jewel here but I thought the Kurobata pork fillets weren't bad either. 



I started mixing things up with some vegetables and noodles. That's when I began feeling a little full.



The noodles were really tasty thanks to the flavors absorbed from the beef and pork.



Lastly, some black chicken (kurodori). V was still hungry so he got himself some more beef but I told him I'm done like cookies!



Finally, a scoop of green tea ice-cream to finish off a pretty impressive shabu shabu dinner. I was hoping I could get some black sesame ice-cream tonight but obviously no such luck.



Many thanks to V for the nice treat. It was good to meet my buddy again to chat about some silly things in life. He gave me a late congratulation on my work to win our 8-team hockey pool this year (winning 3 out of the past 4 years sure feels great!) and we briefly talked about a trip to Taipei or Bangkok later this year. All in all, it was a nice catch-up and like I've said earlier, I'm happy not to be the one paying because I think it ain't going to be cheap.

Food Rating: 6/10
Price: $$$$
Address: Shop C, G/F Centrestage, 108 Hollywood Road, Hong Kong
Closest Metro Station: Sheung Wan
Tel: +852 2832-2028
Website: www.kuroshabu.com


Post a Comment

Please tell us what you think