Thursday, April 18, 2019

JW Marriott Hotel Singapore South Beach (Singapore, SINGAPORE)

Instead of the usual morning flight, we were taking the late afternoon one to Singapore on this birthday trip of mine. I got off work and went straight to the airport to join my family who've been waiting for me with open arms. The flight took a little longer than I thought. By the time we got to JW Marriott Hotel Singapore South Beach, it was almost midnight.



It's my first stay at a hotel designed by design guru, Philippe Starck and quite frankly, I wasn't all that impressed. The interior design wasn't bad but the way he utilizes the space and light sources (more lack of it), it's a bit disappointing.



I got myself all banged up walking behind the end of my bed coz there was a bench and chair situated right next to it. How could they expect anyone to get through that bottleneck area of the room to the window?



They did score some points for remembering my birthday so there were balloons sitting there.....



.....along with a birthday cake...a very nice gesture.



For a small room like this, the bathroom certainly looked very spacious. I like the sliding doors that effectively form part of the walls for the bathroom.



I got the chance to check out the other rooms occupied by our family members and it came with a slightly different layout. The bathroom, in particular, could fit in a bath tub so that's always a bonus. 



When I woke up the next morning, it was still looking a bit dark in the room so I opened the blinds and curtains to take a peek outside. Turned out these were the main culprits blocking a lot of natural daylight from entering the rooms. You don't get them on the higher floors, only us cheapos on the lower floors had such privilege.



Before breakfast, I went up to check out the pool and it was really disappointing. A very small indoor pool that wasn't really indoor. On a rainy day, heavy rain was seen pouring right into the faces of the swimmers. I wasn't interested.



The lobby was always very busy as it was Easter holidays (the hotel was probably very very full). So, was there a positive I saw from this stay? Hell yeah. Apart from the nice location on top of a metro station (and directly connected to Raffles), another great point to take away was the complimentary breakfast at Beach Road Kitchen.



It was really good.



Let's start with the milk, juice and beverage station. It's absolutely loaded.



Stuff you don't see anywhere like walnut milk and hazelnut milk, you could find it right here. 



If you're a plant-based milk lover like me, you will find yourself right at home.



The salad bar, really good. Love those beetroot cured salmon with lots of dills on top.



Fried eggs and omelettes are made to order. But be warned about the lineup if you plan to take your breakfast after 9am.



Some special breakfast items that are not to be missed - Hainanese chicken rice! You don't see that every day at a breakfast restaurant.



And breakfast is not complete here without a couple of those fluffy pancakes with kayak.



Location and breakfast were two takeaways from this stay but are they enough to warrant a second stay? Probably not.





Rating: ❤❤❤
Price: $$$$
Address: 30 Beach Road, Access via Nicoll Highway, Singapore
Closest Metro Station: Esplanade
Tel: +65 6818-1888
Website: www.marriott.com/hotels/travel/sinjw-jw-marriott-hotel-singapore-south-beach/


1 comment:

Please tell us what you think