Sunday, April 21, 2019

London Fat Duck (Singapore, SINGAPORE) ★★☆☆☆

The final day of my birthday trip is up. Jelloman is organizing the activities today like she did for the past two days and she surprised all of us by arranging an outdoor hiking tour to Henderson Waves. I have never heard of Henderson Waves before and neither do our relatives (who've tagged along) who have been living in Singapore for decades. Doesn't look like it's a very popular place here.



We got off from Harbourfront metro station and started walking up to Mount Faber before finding a small path that led us down to Henderson Waves. It's not a difficult walk but with little guy and the elderly's around, it's also not the most comfortable one neither. All in all, it took us an hour and a half to finish the hike. Yeah, we made multiple stops on the way including one at scenic Mount Faber Ropeway.





Afterwards, we took the bus to the nearby Vivo City for a late lunch. I had already made a booking at London Fat Duck at the Vivo City mall so we quickly settled ourselves down and ordered a few dishes to share. 



London Fat Duck is primarily a Hong Kong style noodle and congee restaurant. I have made the call to come here only because I was interested in trying out their famed Irish ducks. They called them the "wagyu of ducks". I don't know much about Irish poultry since they aren't very common in Hong Kong. Hopefully, it's as succulent as advertised.



Brown sugar fresh milk (SGD $5.80) - We all needed something to cool ourselves down. I went with this fresh milk which has been infused with brown sugar and caramel. It's a tad too sweet but I could use some glucose after nearly dehydrating myself during the hike.



Signature London roast duck (SGD $58.80) - I've been looking forward to this, the famed Irish duck. I thought the duck was really tender and juicy but it's also not any different from the ones we found in Hong Kong. On the other hand, the sauce was way too overpowering. I'd rather enjoy my duck with minimal seasoning and the sauce served on the side.



Steamed cheong-fun with barbecue pork (SGD $6.00) - Not the best dish of the afternoon I recalled.



Crispy pandan snow custard bun (SGD $5.50) - A real pleasant surprise. The pandan flavored crust provided a very nice extra kick for the bun and the runny custard sauce was perfect. It's one of the few dishes that managed to impress. 



Barbecue pork with honey sauce noodle (SDG $9.80) - London Fat Duck is mainly a congee and noodle place so of course, we checked out some noodles. Their traditional style barbecue pork was getting lots of negative reviews around our table. Not the best presentation and I heard it didn't taste great. 



Hong Kong style wonton noodle soup (SDG $8.80) - I had the wonton soup instead. This was alright. The eggy noodles weren't bad but I didn't have high expectation coming in.



I heard the bill ended up getting around SGD$200. That's about HK$1,200 for some noodles, congee (not pictured), dim sum and a roast duck. It's definitely not cheap. In fact, the way I looked at it, it's very poor value for money.

Food Rating: 3.5/10
Price: $$$$
Address: 1 Harbourfront Walk #B2-29, Singapore
Closest Metro Station: Harbourfront
Tel: +65 6221-6689
Website: www.londonfatduck.com.sg


Post a Comment

Please tell us what you think