Sunday, May 12, 2019

Espresso at Intercontinental Bangkok (Bangkok, THAILAND) ★★☆☆☆

I don’t usually go for buffets during a trip because Hong Kong has arguably the best lunch and dinner buffets in the world. Why go anywhere else for it? But the moms are big-time buffet lovers (and we have 4 moms on our roster) and it’s Mother’s Day today, so I thought they should get what they want, at least for a day!

One of the things I noticed about the Sunday brunches in Bangkok is that, they ain’t cheap. I remembered them as some of the real bargains (Madison was my fav back then) but not anymore. After comparing a few top choices around, I decided to go with a middle of the line selection - Espresso at Intercontinental Hotel.

I recalled staying here about 15 years ago. Yeah, it has seen better days and sooner or later, they’ll find a way to tear this baby down and rebuild it from scratch.



Espresso is open 7 days a week for breakfast, lunch and dinner. On Sunday, they offer their Sunday brunch at 2,200 Baht. It’s international cuisine with a mix of Thai, Chinese and Italian dishes and free flow of juices and soft drinks.



This place is huge! They need to somehow fill it up again...



A live band.....



The seafood bar is probably the best place to start off the buffet, with different kinds of oysters, Alaskan crabs, spiny lobsters and more.



I got myself some spiny lobsters, tiger prawns and crab. Not bad.



Each guest also got half of a lobster. For that price, I thought lobsters should’ve been part of the seafood bar!



Apart from their reasonably good seafood bar, I thought the pan-seared foie gras was pretty good as well. These were served with a balsamic vinegar sauce and mango purée.



Other than those, I’m afraid it started to go downhill.

The grill station was boring.



Didn’t try the Sunday roasts coz the roasted beef looked a little dry and rubbery.



Our little nugget had the pasta which was cooked on the spot with mushroom and tomato sauce. Decent.



For a Sunday brunch of this caliber (and in Bangkok where they’re famous for their abundance of great fruits), the fruit section had to be considered a major disappointment. I thought the breakfast at our hotel offered more selection than this!



The dessert bar offered small bite-sized sweets as well as slices of cakes. It’s much better than their fruit section, that’s for sure.



I had a couple of slices of this coffee cream cake. Not bad.



One of the pleasant surprises of this meal was actually the all-you-can-eat mango sticky rice. They offered three types of sticky rice, original, purple glutinous rice and one flavored with pandan.



As I said right off the get-go, soft drinks and juices were included but there’s an upgrade available for those who wanted free flow of champagne and wine.



After all the taxes and surcharges, the bill amounted to about 3,000 Baht per head. That’s a lot of money considering the selection and quality of food that we were getting. I guess I would much prefer to spend it in Hong Kong where the price is more or less the same but I know I will get premium food quality with exemplary cooking techniques. But this is Mother’s day and since all the moms wanted buffet, I was happy to comply. Happy Mother’s Day to all the moms out there. I hope this group of moms enjoyed this meal. Now, I just had to settle this bill before heading to CentralWorld again to burn the dying hours of the trip.

Afterthought: For anyone visiting from Hong Kong, think twice about having buffets and Sunday Brunch in Bangkok because you will likely regret it.

Food Rating: 4.5/10
Price: ฿฿฿฿
Address: 2/F Intercontinental Hotel Bangkok, 973 Phloen Chit Road, Khwaeng Lumphini, Bangkok, Thailand
Closest BTS Station: Phloen Chit
Tel: +66 (0) 2656-0444
Website: bangkok.intercontinental.com


Post a Comment

Please tell us what you think