Friday, January 11, 2019

Gough’s on Gough (Hong Kong, CHINA) ★★★★☆

Opening day Executive Chef Arron Rhodes has recently left Gough’s on Gough, British designer Timothy Oulton's first restaurant concept on Gough Street to join Statement, Aqua Group's modern British restaurant at Tai Kwun. But it didn't take long for the new sheriff to get in town. In comes new Executive Chef Cary Docherty, my fellow Canadian and Vancouverite who started his career at Vancouver's fine-dining temple Lumière, one of my favorite French restaurant in Beautiful British Columbia. Two years later, he made his big move to London where he went on to work at some of the best restaurants in London including 3-Michelin-starred Restaurant Gordon Ramsay, Zuma and 1-Michelin-starred Maze. Fresh off a stint at celebrity Chef Jason Atherton’s French-inspired British bistro, Little Social, Chef Docherty will aim to bring the same casual and rustic dishes to the table here at Gough's on Gough.



I've always enjoyed dining at this sleek and fashionable British bar. The modern yet rustic vibe embodies Timothy Oulton’s luxury furniture brand. The best part is, they also have the contemporary yet classic food menu to match it.



Lunch at Gough's on Gough is a casual affair. Diners get to choose between one ($198), two ($268) and three courses ($298). I skipped breakfast this morning so the three-course set lunch was what I went after.



But first up, some warm sourdough bread accompanied by their special smoked bacon butter. This was pretty tasty. I could have this all day.



My starter was salmon gravlax which was served with a small potato salad. Some say the simplest dish is always the most difficult one to please but I thought this was really satisfying. Love the soft and moist salmon gravlax meshing well with the new potatoes, onion, pickled cucumber, dill and mustard sauce.



I tried having it on the crispy toast but it didn't work all that well (too flaky!).



As much as I wanted to try their old-school macaroni and cheese, I decided to go a different route. The slow-cooked beef feather blade with mustard mash and roasted carrots was perfect for a meat lover like me.

The feather blade, a cut from the shoulder area, is never going to be a fatty steak but it offers a sweet flavor and firm texture like no other. But I thought it would taste even better without such a powerful veal jus and flavorful mustard mash.



Dessert was a timeless marriage of chocolate and orange. The chef's homemade chocolate ice-cream (more like a rich chocolate mousse) was nicely decorated with some sponge cake with raisins, fresh orange and orange zest. A very pleasant end to a simple and rustic meal.



Even the bill came in style inside a vintage cigar box.



They're telling me that they will be changing their menu next week so I guess I'll have another excuse to come back soon.


Food Rating: 6/10
Price: $$$
Address: 15 Gough Street, Central, Hong Kong
Closest Metro Station: Hong Kong Station
Tel: +852 2473-9066
Website: www.goughsongough.com


Post a Comment

Please tell us what you think