Thursday, January 31, 2019

86 Champs - L'Occitane x Pierre Hermé (Paris, FRANCE) ★★★★☆

Just when I thought we were done wandering around Avenue des Champs Elysées, we suddenly ran into 86 Champs, a collaboration between the Picasso of Pastry and L'Occitane, on our way back to the hotel.



A closer look reveals 86 Champs as a concept combining Pierre Hermé's exquisite desserts with L'Occitane's Mediterranean fragrances. I didn't recall seeing the store when we were in Paris 13 months ago but staff here told me the shop opened doors almost around the same time we last visited the city. So, I guess I dropped the ball there. How could I miss the then-new store by my favorite patissier in the world? That's just inexcusable.



86 Champs is the ultimate gastronomic experience offering three entirely different adventures in an intimate space designed by Parisian architect, Laura Gonzalez. First, there are the patisserie counter and dessert bar to indulge yourself with Pierre Hermé's macarons and pastries.



That was followed by a coffee station for discovering the art of coffee with original recipes from three different varieties of coffee (including one decaffeinated) carefully selected again by the Picasso of Pastry (In collusion with Hippolyte Courty).



Last but not least, a restaurant, serving up gourmet or detox breakfast, lunch, afternoon tea, cocktails and sharing plates among friends.



We didn't have time for the dessert bar, coffee station and restaurant so the only way I could join the fun was to check out their patisserie counter.



Tarte Infiniment Praliné Noisette (€7.20) - Shortbread pastry, cake imbibed with a rich hazelnut praline spread with roasted Piedmont hazelnut. The crunchy texture of the shortbread pastry was beautifully matched with the soft creaminess of the hazelnut praline and hazelnut cream. It ranks right up there as one of the best desserts I've ever tasted, including Pierre Hermé's other creation, the Tarte Infiniment Vanille.



Tarte Infiniment Citron (€7.20) - Pierre Hermé's contemporary take on the classic lemon tart.



The classic revisited by the Picasso came with pâte sablée and lemon cream and toppings of candied lemon zest and lemon pulp. The sharp acidity of the lemon cream and lemon pulp is nicely offset by the bitter candied zest and the sweet shortbread crust.



I could never seem to escape from the temptation of their macarons. Some old (Hazelnut, Infiniment marron glacé) and new (Pamplemousse rhubarbe) flavors just to wet my appetite



I was my first time having their Pamplemousse rhubarbe (Grapefruit rhurbarb) macaron and it was very impressive. Love the fruity flavors which was complemented nicely by the acidity from the rhurbarb.



I must admit I've always got a soft spot for Pierre Hermé's divinely delicious desserts especially his Tarte Infiniment series and the wildly elegant 86 Champs just provided the perfect venue for me to get my hands on them in a prime location. The only thing I didn't like about the place was its customer service, which I thought was lacking passion. An example of that was when I asked my server to recommend their newest (or hottest) flavors, he promptly reached back and handed me a copy of their brochure without saying a word.


Food Rating: 8/10
Price: €€€
Address: 86 avenue des Champs Elysées, 75008 Paris, France
Closest Metro Station: George V
Tel: +33 (0)1 7038-7738
Website: www.86champs.com


Post a Comment

Please tell us what you think