Tuesday, January 22, 2019

Fu-Unmaru 風雲丸 (Hong Kong, CHINA) ★★★☆☆

Hailed from Hiroshima (廣島), Fu-Unmaru (風雲丸) is a Japanese ramen shop specializing in tsukemen (沾麵), a type of Japanese noodles which are eaten by dipping in a separate bowl of soup or broth. What makes their tsukemen one of the most sought-after ramens in town these days is their scrumptious fish powder pork bone soup prepared with Katakuch iwashi, some sort of dried sardine sourced directly from Japan.



I was trying to decide between their signature tsukemen and the limited-time-only lobster tsukemen. After struggling to come up with a final decision, I ended up changing my mind at the very last minute - Tonkotsu ramen with fish powder (豚骨魚介拉麵). I guess I didn't want to waste time dipping the noodles into the broth.



Having skipped breakfast this morning, it was safe to say I was pretty hungry at this hour. So, I also ordered some pan-fried dumplings to fix my craving.



Pretty decent stuff.



As expected, the broth was pretty thick with very good depth of flavors thanks to the fish powder and pork bones. And it's always nice to see my ramen soup arrive in boiling temperature.



The noodles offered pretty firm bite working well with the rich flavored broth.



I love the thick slab of slow-cooked pork belly. Very succulent.



Having just tried the dipping ramen at Menya Itto (麵屋一燈) last week, I thought the Hiroshima-style ramen here was equally good, if not better. And the best part of all, it saved me a good 30-40%, which is always a bonus.


Food Rating: 5.5/10
Price: $$$
Address: Shop B, G/F, W Square, 314-324 Hennessy Road, Wanchai, Hong Kong
Closest Metro Station: Wanchai
Tel: +852 3188-1472


Post a Comment

Please tell us what you think