Sunday, August 8, 2021

Hong Kong Wing Nin 香港永年車仔麵茶冰廳 (Hong Kong, CHINA) ★☆☆☆☆

I thought our hiking trip was going to a walk in the park but it turned out to be a struggle for the kids, parents and grandparents alike. Full marks to the kids, they did well under the extreme conditions (muddy condition, unexpected rock climbing etc.) despite their lack of hiking experience and physicality but for some of the parents (including myself), today was a cruel reminder that perhaps we were too old for these shit. Yeah, it's time to hit the gym.

Anyways.....I thought the 4-hour hike was a bit too much for everyone concerned. I, for one, was exhausted so I suggested going back to the scene of the crime (New Town Plaza where we just had lunch a few hours ago) to grab a quick dinner before heading home for shower (Yeah perhaps good food could get me energized again!). Not surprisingly, almost every restaurant there was full but we were lucky to find a table at Hong Kong Wing Nin (香港永年車仔麵茶冰廳). Too bad the feeling of being lucky didn't last.


I actually needed a drink much more than having food. An icy milk tea certainly helped but other than being ice cold, I could hardly taste the tea flavors nor milk in there. Maybe my palate got numb after the hike.


A little bit better was the milk tea with red beans and coconut milk. At least I could taste the flavors from the red beans and coconut!


This reminded me of a Steven Chow (周星馳) movie. I have never been a fan of cart noodles (車仔麵) in my life; in fact, I don't think I have ever had one before but little nugget wanted noodle soup and that's all they've got. Well, they don't call cart noodles "filthy noodles" (嗱喳麵) for nothing. Basically, the toppings are some of the least healthy food one could find on earth. Tonight, little one had the pleasure of having radish (cooked with curry sauce), beef tendon, fish balls, soft-boiled egg, seaweed and vegetables with his noodles. Well, at least he didn't get pig intestine or pig blood curd.



The cream soup with mushroom and corn is making the mushroom soup from Pizza Hut look like the best cream soup on earth. It was watery and tasteless; and the chefs here didn't even care to add some corn starch to make this a little thicker. Shame.


Another local tea restaurant favorite, mixed grill served on a sizzling hot metal plate. 


This came with a chicken steak, pork chop, smoked bacon, sausage and French fries. Not bad but the sauce made with onion was awful.


I'm really proud of my little nugget today. He started slowly but picked up the pace not long after. He made it look easy too. That's the thing about my boy. He's a quick learner.







Food Rating: 3/10
Price: $$$
Address: Shop 113, L1/F, New Town Plaza, 18 Sha Tin Centre Street, Sha Tin, NT, Hong Kong
Closest Metro Station: Shatin
Tel: +852 2117-2368
Opening Hours: 8:00am - 9:00pm daily



Post a Comment

Please tell us what you think