Tuesday, August 10, 2021

Hee Wan Cafe 囍運冰室 (Hong Kong, CHINA) ★★☆☆☆

Having a new physio in Mongkok has allowed me time to explore its dining scene on a more regular basis. There are 114 cha chaan tengs in Mongkok alone (according to Openrice) and I have every intention to check out each and every one of them before my back fully heals. The first destination of my new mission - Hee Wan Cafe (囍運冰室).


Nothing to write home about when it comes to its decor.


The first test result came back negative. I'm not talking my COVID-19 rapid test. I'm referring to the first item that was served up, which was on their pantyhose milk tea. I thought any good local tea restaurant must at least have a good pantyhose milk tea but this one, a little too strong and not enough milk to balance things out.


I needed something green so I randomly picked a dish with vegetables out of their dinner set, stir-fried broccoli with fatty beef slices.


This was so disappointing. The broccoli was a little overcooked thus losing its crunch in the process but the fatty beef slices were a total failure. These were so tough and chewy! An ex-colleague of mine would have said they tasted like old car tires.



I'm willing to give this place one more chance though since I saw some really happy faces around here. Perhaps it's just an off day from the kitchen staff (and the cafe is always full) ?





Food Rating: 3/10
Price: $$$
Address: G/F, 139 Tung Choi Street, Mong Kok, Hong Kong
Closest Metro Station: Mongkok
Tel: +852 9600-0966
Opening Hours: 7:00am - 4:00am daily



Post a Comment

Please tell us what you think