Monday, April 26, 2021

Wins Cafe 永勝冰室 (Hong Kong, CHINA) ★★☆☆☆

My quest to visit 100 local tea restaurants this year (since there's no traveling, I thought I do something special amidst the pandemic) took a positive step forward when I accidentally discovered a new one in Fortress Hill this afternoon.



Located on the first floor of a commercial building, I would never imagine there's a tea restaurant up there but I was actually tipped off by a security guard standing on the ground floor. I would imagine she works for Studio City who're the folks behind my newest discovery - Wins Cafe (永勝冰室).



I have to confess, I know nothing about gambling so the fact that they have these machines and multiple TVs showing different games mean absolutely nothing to me. I'm just here to fill up my tank. 


I will admit that I am starting to like my early work schedule a little more. Waking up at 5am obviously sucked but then I got to enjoy afternoon tea at 4pm. A fair trade-off?


Both chicken legs and wings feature prominently on the food menu here so I would assume they are the house specialties.


After a rather long wait (about 15-20 minutes), my order's finally ready. 


The tea set came with a small bowl of macaroni with assorted vegetables and ham.


Tea was a bit strong for my liking. I would have asked for additional milk if I wasn't in a hurry. But fearing that it might take another 15-20 minutes for my milk to arrive (ok, just a joke!), I decided to bite the bullets instead.


The long wait, as I was told, was because of this baby. Wins' signature deep-fried chicken leg which was made to order. Honestly, I thought it was just OK. I love the ones where they traditionally fried it with a thick batter. This came with a relatively thin one.


Overall, I thought the food was decent (tea wasn't though) but they have to fix the problem of the long waiting time. If a single tea set takes 15-20 minutes to be ready and I'm the only customer, how long would the wait be if you have a dozen customers? Another thing that bothers me was the shape of the cafe - very long and narrow. They've got the kitchen at one end and I was sitting at the other; for a self-service cafe, how would that work?





Food Rating: 4/10
Price: $$$
Address: 1/F, Wah Hoi Mansion, 258-260 Electric Road, North Point, Hong Kong
Closest Metro Station: Fortress Hill
Tel: +852 2435-2590


 

Post a Comment

Please tell us what you think