Saturday, April 10, 2021

Ramen House Konjiki Hototogisu 金色不如帰 Festival Walk (Hong Kong, CHINA) ★★★☆☆

My ramen-loving son has been hounding me to bring him to Ramen House Konjiki Hototogisu (金色不如帰) for months. Not that I don't want to go there myself but we haven't had plans to go to IFC.....but wait, I heard they've opened their second shop at Festival Walk in Kowloon Tong.


While little nugget was in the neighborhood for his recital competition, I thought let's have an early celebration (for his gold medal!) by having Ramen House Konjiki Hototogis's signature ramen this afternoon!



Shoyu Hamaguri Soup Ramen (貝汁醬油拉麵) – First up, the house specialty soy sauce based broth infused with their signature "triple soup" made with clams, pork and fish. The rich and flavorful broth worked brilliantly with the homemade noodles, leeks and spring onion. Both the pork belly cha shu and slow-cooked cha shu weren't bad (though I love my barbecued pork with a bit more smoky flavors); but just one complaint from my little nugget - he didn't like the porcini flakes with porcini oil.

But for the most part, he enjoyed it very much.


Shio Hamaguri Soup Ramen (貝汁鹽味拉麵) – The same signature triple soup blended with their salt-based broth but the supporting cast was more or less the same. White leeks, spring onion and cha shu. I thought I saw the same porcini flakes too, but no black truffle. 


But sadly, the sweetness of the triple soup (clam in particular) didn't really mesh as well with the salt like it did with the soy sauce.


Tonkotsu Spicy Ramen (豚骨辛拉麵) – I asked my server if the broth was any different from the previous two. Disappointingly, she said it's "the same" (but the menu said tonkotsu, or pork bone based wtf?). I also asked her about the spiciness of the broth and she insisted that the only thing spicy about the broth was the shredded pork with chili oil. I am afraid that's not what I wanted to hear.


As usual, soft-boiled egg is extra here. Where's my runny yolk?


After we finished slurping our noodles, we still had another 15-20 minutes before little nugget's Mandarin class. I hope he won't mind that we spend it at Toy R Us. 😆







Food Rating: 5.5/10
Price: $$$
Address: Shop 25, LG2/F, Festival Walk, 80 Tat Chee Avenue, Kowloon Tong, Hong Kong
Closest Metro Station: Kowloon Tong
Tel: +852 6333-8156
Opening Hours: 11:00am - 10:00pm daily



Post a Comment

Please tell us what you think