Saturday, November 16, 2019

Duck and Waffle IFC (Hong Kong, CHINA) ★★★★☆

I'm back at Duck and Waffle again for an early brunch after a date with my therapist in Central this morning. This time I brought my family with me as they were found drooling all over the photo I took of my duck and waffle dish from my September visit a couple of times at home.



Their online reservation system said they were all booked up until 3pm but we decided to try our luck by showing up a little before noon. Luckily, there were still tables available.



Duck & Waffle ($230) - Is it too early to have the duck and waffle dish before the rest of our food arrives? Absolutely not; at least not according to my little nugget.



He wants his duck leg confit with the buttermilk waffle and fried duck egg, and he wants it now! This was again very very good. The duck leg, buttermilk waffle and mustard maple syrup really worked wonders together. Whoever came up with this must be a genius!



Little one decided to finish the entire dish all by himself. 



Ox cheek benedict ($130) - With the duck and waffle dish quickly swallowed up, I turned my attention to the ox cheek benedict, which I didn't get to try on my last visit. This came with the same buttermilk waffles but topped with poached eggs, braised ox cheek and Hollandaise sauce instead of the duck leg and egg. It wasn't bad but there was obviously something missing here that would tie everything together. Maybe some mashed avocado or that killer mustard maple syrup (for some extra kick)? I don't know...



Homemade Tagliatelle ($195) - A dish we used to have a lot at Gordon Ramsay's restaurants. This was actually pretty tasty. The softness of the tagliatelle worked really well with the fresh mint, peas, ricotta and brown sugar crumbs. Little guy didn't like the minty (mint) and clean (pea) flavors from the dish but we all find them very pleasant and soothing to the palate.



Torrejas ($140) - I had the miso custard tart (more like a cheesecake) last time so I made sure that we got something new this time around. The Spanish version of French toast was the obvious choice since it would be easy to share among the four of us.



This was even better than I thought. The lovely acidity from the maple glazed apples and sweetness of the cinnamon ice-cream were really nice match with the fried dough. A sweet and comforting end to our relaxing Saturday brunch.



I thought service was a lot better than what I remembered from last time around. Everyone seems to know what they are doing and with a smile on their face too. It's not a cheap brunch by any means but I have no problem coming back any time soon. In fact, I've already planned a visit to their Covent Garden branch when we visit London in January (2020).


Food Rating: 6.5/10
Price: $$$
Address: Shop 1081, 1/F IFC, 1 Harbour View Street, Central, Hong Kong
Closest Metro Station: Central / Hong Kong Station
Website: www.duckandwaffle.com.hk
Tel: +852 2267-6338
Opening Hours: 8:00am - 12:00am (Sun - Thu), 8:00am - 1:00am (Fri - Sat)


Post a Comment

Please tell us what you think