Sunday, November 3, 2019

Gontran Cherrier at K11 Musea (Hong Kong, CHINA) ★★★☆☆

After enjoying the avocado-laden menu at Avobar, we spent some time at the Hong Kong Space Museum and Museum of Arts (which isn't open until December) before returning to K11 Musea. It was approaching afternoon tea time and everyone was looking left and right for someone to call the shots. Without hesitation, I jumped the gun and headed straight to Gontran Cherrier.



Two months ago, I had the pleasure of visiting their bakery shop cum cafe at its infant stage but too bad I only had time for take-away.



This time, of course I made sure that we got properly seated so we could thoroughly enjoy their croissants, pastries and more.



Part of the fun about dining in is that we don't have to deal with long lineups like these. Yeah, I hate long lineups!



Raspberry and lime croissant ($26) - Some said it's a Hong Kong exclusive but I'm entirely sure. This wasn't bad. I didn't get the chance to do my usual cross-section test before it was dissected into multiple pieces.



Sesame croissant ($24) - Again not bad but I have been spoiled by really delicious croissants in Seoul so I wasn't over the moon. But yeah, Hong Kong has a lot of catching up to do when it comes to croissants.



Iced ginger and honey latte ($46) - The heat from the ginger was pretty strong, which was a bit unexpected considering this looked more like my son's powdered milk.



Lemon and yuzu cheesecake ($50) - Way too much acidity in this one. I know that's the traditional recipe (I always found the lemon tarts in Paris to have way too much acidity too) but they should do a better job adapting to the local market. 



Pistachio flan ($45) - The texture was surprisingly soft and wobbly. Really rich pistachio flavor.



This was a step back from my last visit where I had their vanilla eclair. The way I looked at Gontran Cherrier, they are a little behind Passion by Gerard Dubois on my depth chart.


Food Rating: 5/10
Price: $$$
Address: Shop B205-B207, B2/F, K11 Musea, Victoria Dockside, 18 Salisbury Road, Tsim Sha Tsui, Hong Kong
Closest Metro Station: East Tsim Sha Tsui / Tsim Sha Tsui
Tel: +852 3468-2430
Opening Hours: 10:00am - 10:00pm daily


Post a Comment

Please tell us what you think