Tuesday, February 26, 2019

Ebisoba Ichigen 一幻拉麵 (Hong Kong, CHINA) ★★★☆☆

Ebisoba Ichigen (一幻拉麵) is a pretty popular ramen shop from Sapporo, Hokkaido. After successfully launching in Asian countries like Taiwan and Malaysia, they have finally opened their first branch in Hong Kong. I recalled walking past their Harbour City branch more than a zillion times before but every time I decided to have something else instead. I guess there are just way too many options down there in Tsim Sha Tsui. 



I figured I have a much better chance of visiting their Wanchai branch (since it's close to my office) and turned out I was right! Their signature ramen with shrimp head soup has long been on my radar screen so I'm really looking forward to this.



Ebi Mazesoba ($88) - Ramen in an intense shrimp broth, with BBQ pork, soft-boiled egg and bamboo shoot. There are three levels of richness when it comes to their patented ramen soup made with shrimp head - original, mild and rich. Since it was my first time here, I decided to go with their "original" broth to test the waters.

I thought the broth wasn't bad. I love a ramen broth with rich and thick flavor, and this probably didn't have enough "heaviness" to it, at least not to my standard. But it was close. The shrimp flavor could be stronger too so I guess I will go for the "rich" broth on my next visit.

Oh, by the way, I liked the pickled red ginger tempura made into crumbs to give the noodles a bit more texture.



I have tried about half a dozen Japanese ramen shop the past few weeks but I have yet to be blown away. Perhaps, there's something about those secret little ramen shops in Japan that we could never get in Hong Kong?

Food Rating: 5.5/10
Price: $$$
Address: Shop B, G/F, Yan King Court, 119-121 Queen`s Road East, Wanchai, Hong Kong
Closest Metro Station: Wanchai
Tel: +852 2789-3799
Website: www.ebisoba.com.hk


Post a Comment

Please tell us what you think