Tuesday, July 18, 2017

W Bolero Hommachi (Osaka, JAPAN) ★★★★☆

Our trip to Kansai is about to draw to a close very soon. There's only a few hours left on the clock before our flight takes off. But we're not going to just sit back and let precious time tick away. Instead, I'm expecting an action packed half-day which starts off at W Bolero Hommachi early in the morning. 



Located just 10 minutes from our hotel, W Bolero is your typical French patisserie with a strong focus on Japanese ingredients. In-season ingredients. Trust me, there are plenty of them in Japan.



In 2017, they were voted by reviewers of Tabelog, Japan's top restaurant review website as one of the "Top 100 dessert spots" in the country.



I spent some time looking around the shop and was fascinated by the wide range of products they have in store, including bakery goods, fruit jams, chocolate, macarons and of course pastries.



It was very early in the morning so not surprisingly, they were still working hard to get their display counter filled up (with pastry chefs working hard backstage I am sure).



I think I'm ready to make my selection right about now.



After telling my server exactly what I had in mind, we moved over to the tea salon and patiently waited for our desserts to be served.



Fruit Short Cake (480 yen) - Something simple for mom. This was surprisingly good especially the sponge cake which was really eggy and fluffy. You can tell that it's just been freshly made this morning.



Pample Coco (500 yen) - A new summer creation.



I like how they have added all these shredded coconut bites to the cake to give it more texture. 



Delectable coconut mousse with filling of cranberry coulis. There's also passion fruit in play providing some lovely acidity. I didn't know if I heard it right but I thought our server mentioned vodka as part of the ingredients. I couldn't taste any vodka in the cake though.



Our really handsome server also brought us some complimentary chocolate. Not the best chocolate I've had in Osaka but I always enjoy free stuff.



Both the patisserie and tea salon here open at 10am. They close every Saturday.



I'm happy to finally check W Bolero off my list. Not my favorite pastry shop in town, though if I ever stay in this neighborhood again, I could see myself coming back for more sweet stuff.





Food Rating: 6/10
Price: ¥¥¥
Address: 4-7-4 Kawaramachi, Chuo-ku, Osaka 541-0048, Japan
Closest Metro Station: Yotsubashi
Tel: +81 (0)6 6228-5336
Website: www.wbolero.com
Opening Hours: 10:00am - 8:00pm dail





Post a Comment

Please tell us what you think