Sunday, July 30, 2017

Tiffany Restaurant 名寶石餐廳 (Hong Kong, CHINA) ★★★☆☆

Tonight, I returned to a place where I got my first taste of "western" cuisine. Tiffany Restaurant has been under different names (English and Chinese) and ownership over the years but it remains one of the few Hong Kong-style western restaurants in an area better known for its florists than dining options. My dad used to bring me here a lot when I was little since we used to live pretty close by. And, that's where I learned about western cuisine. Of course, after I grew up, I realized "real" western food was a totally different animal altogether.

I knew one day I would take this trip down memory lane again and mom would be the easy recruitment as my partner in crime.

Not surprisingly, the place looks almost exactly the same as if it's been there forever. Same goes for the food menu (okay, a couple of new items including grilled Kurobuta pork) and a familiar looking team of waiting staff.



Tiffany cream soup - This one used to be a classic here, with tons of shark's fin (vegetarian), ham, mushrooms and carrots. I always joked around saying that there're actually more ham and mushrooms there than the actual broth. They have obviously tuned it down a bit so the proportion looked about right.



Toast - I don't think I could ever ask for toast in exchange for my brioche at Caprice, can I?



Deep-fried fish fillet - Oh, they have the best deep-fried fish fillet in the business! Okay, they have the best one in Fa Yuen Street, how about that? Look at those two giant pieces of fish, deep fried to the perfect golden brown color. Delish.....



Ox tongue - Mom had their ox tongue with steamed rice. Another legendary dish from our "soy sauce" restaurants in Hong Kong.



I was happy I took this trip back to the neighbourhood that I once called home. Things were of course very different these days as I could hardly recognize some of these places around here. Some of the stuff like pet shop, bakery and a fast-food joint which I frequently visited as a kid were long gone but the fond memories stay.....





Food Rating: 4.5/10
Price: $$$
Address: 148 Prince Edward Road West, Kowloon, Hong Kong
Closest Metro Station: Prince Edward
Tel: +852 2381-1516



Post a Comment

Please tell us what you think