Friday, January 13, 2023

Trattoria Kagawa by Mihara (Hong Kong, CHINA) ★★★☆☆

Two weeks since we came back from Osaka, I finally got the chance to try something new.


Trattoria Kagawa by Mihara is a newcomer at the everchanging dining scene of Ship Street in Wanchai. The counter table certainly looks like the perfect place to be, as it provides a front row seat to Japanese chef Terufumi Mihara's open kitchen. The chef's trattoria concept is a simple yet sophisticated one. At his new trattoria, he aims to bring the art of teppanyaki, fresh produce of his hometown Kagawa and Italian traditional flavors all together in harmony.


Set lunch starts at $158 which isn't a bad price at all for a competitive market like Wanchai.


I was first started off with a small piece of bread that looks like a focaccia.



I chose a small salad over soup cuz we had just enough soup on our Osaka trip already.


Last but not least, a chawanmushi (or Japanese steamed egg custard) with a bit of black truffles on top to spice things up.



We had a choice of pasta or risotto before our main event and this was a pretty easy choice for me 
 pasta with shrimps tossed with shrimp bisque. I wish there were more sauce in there but the pasta was pretty solid with close to perfectly al dente texture.



I have the olive chicken for my main dish. To be honest, I only started to hear about olive beef on my recent trip to Osaka (the cattle was raised eating olive growing up) so I will assume this is more or less the same deal except it's chicken this time around. 

Not sure if this is supposed to be a "La Peperonata" with stewed peppers and vegetables. But this I know, the chicken was really tender and flavorful thanks to the tomato-based sauce.



After the parade of dishes, I still got room for dessert and was happy to drop a few extra bucks for a slice of tiramisu. This was a little more firm than I would like but nevertheless a lovely sweet end to the meal (I also haven't had a tiramisu for months). 


Lunch here was obviously meant to be simple but I have heard a lot of great things about their dinner menu with lobster, Japanese abalone and wagyu beef Rossini making the headlines. Perhaps I should pick a time to come back for dinner some time.





Food Rating: 5.5/10
Price: $$$
Address: 18 Ship Street, Wanchai, Hong Kong
Closest Metro Station: Wanchai
Tel: +852 5394-3690
Opening Hours: 12:00pm - 3:00pm, 6:00pm - 11:45pm daily



Post a Comment

Please tell us what you think