Friday, September 30, 2022

Return of Lemak at BaseHall (Hong Kong, CHINA) ★★★☆☆

The first meeting with my new dentist turned out to be, well, a disappointment. We were supposed to meet at 10:40am but I was caught up a bit in traffic and ended up arriving at 10:45am. A mere 5 minutes late. The nurse did call in between to make sure that I was coming and I re-assured her that I was only 2 to 3 minutes away. But later I learned when I arrived that the call wasn't intended to confirm whether I was coming or not. Obviously, they had a patient who came in late and they were trying to decide whether to take him/her in or not. Although I stressed the fact that I would be there in 2 to 3 minutes, they still decided to take the late patient in. Of course, that's their decision to make. So, I waited for about an hour and I wasn't happy. I decided to approach the receptionist and tell her that I was walking away. And if my dentist still wanted to see me, he could call me to see my whereabout and if I just happen to be around the area, maybe just maybe I will come back. The receptionist tried to be diplomatic with me and re-assured that it's going to be just 10 more minutes as they were wrapping things up, blah blah blah.

I really hate people who think that their time is more valuable than ours. It's okay for others to wait for an hour but they can't wait for 5 minutes. Actually 2 to 3 minutes. But I'm guessing it's a big job that brings in a good revenue.

Anyways, I did see the guy (for the last time) and afterwards, I went for a quick lunch nearby at BaseHall. I swear I've heard about this place for the longest time, always wanted to check it out and this was the time to do it.


I've heard that this is one of the most expensive food courts in Central. Let's find out.


Korean, Vietnamese, French, Japanese.....no, I was craving for some Asian food today.



It was pretty packed at 12:10am already but I managed to find myself a quiet corner. 


Beef Rendang with steamed rice and Coke Cola from Return of Lemak, $165. That's not cheap.


The beef short-ribs were served with the usual suspect of cucumber, peanuts and crispy anchovies, all on top of a banana leaf.


While the portion of short-ribs was a little bit small, it was surprisingly tender and juicy. The dry curry was flavorful and coconut-rich but I could only wish that they gave me more of it for the steamed rice.



This hasn't been a very good day for me so far and the sky is pouring. I hope everything brightens up in the afternoon.





Food Rating: 5.5/10
Price: $$$$
Address: BaseHall, Shop 1, B1/F, Jardine House, 1 Connaught Place, Central, Hong Kong
Closest Metro Station: Central
Opening Hours: 11:00am - 10:00pm (Mon - Sat)



Post a Comment

Please tell us what you think