Wednesday, February 5, 2020

The Pawn (Hong Kong, CHINA) ★★★☆☆

I've been trying to dine out as little as possible these days. With a potential outbreak of coronavirus looming large, it's much safer to have homemade bento box but once in a while, you got to go out and see what's new in the city's food scene.



But I wasn't feeling adventurous this afternoon so rather than finding something new, I ended up visiting The Pawn, a place I haven't been to in 2020.



Smoked duck breast, endive, orange, beetroot purée - I am a sucker for anything with beetroot but this was a peculiar combination. At least one that I haven't tried before.



Ice cold smoked duck breast served with slices of orange, endive and beetroot purée. There's a bit of everything here from sweetness (beetroot), acidity (orange) to bitterness (endive). I'm not sure how those would help enhance the flavors of the cold duck breast. It's not working for me.



Halibut, charlotte potatoes, celery root with ginger, scallion fish soup - Another strange-looking dish featuring sous-vide halibut in a scallion fish soup. It was matched with celery root and charlotte potatoes, finished off with some extra heat from ginger.



Surprisingly, I had enough time for tea and dessert ($40 extra) before heading back to my office.



Mille-feuille - The puff pastry was layered with mango flavored pastry cream, topped with rhurbarb cubes. Served on the side was a scoop of rhurbarb sorbet, bringing some nice acidity to the mix. Easily the best dish of the afternoon.



It was able to find myself a table at the corner of the restaurant where no other customer was seated within 10 metres. That provided me a rare chance to sit back and relax without my mask on (even before I started eating). But it's time to head back out to the streets again. I better not let my guard down. 



Food Rating: 5/10
Price: $$$
Address: 2/F, 62 Johnston Road, Wanchai, Hong Kong
Closest Metro Station: Wanchai
Tel: +852 2866-3444
Website: www.thepawn.com.hk
Opening Hours: 12:00pm - 1:00am (Mon - Sat), 11:30am - 1:00am (Sun)


Post a Comment

Please tell us what you think