Monday, November 23, 2020

Lee Lo Mei 李好味 (Hong Kong, CHINA) ★★★★☆

I have been trying to find myself an excuse to go back to Lee Lo Mei (李好味) since our last visit 3 years ago. Finally, I got one tonight after our Korean dinner at Hansik Goo (More on that later).

Obviously, little nugget was still very hungry after our highly anticipated Korean meal. Instead of venturing over to another place, I thought it would be much easier to stay within the same building, and Lee Lo Mei situated right underneath Hansik Goo (obviously by the ownership) was the perfect choice. At least that was the message I tried to get across.


Unsurprisingly, not much have changed over the last 3 years. Still the same décor and even the food menu looks all too familiar.


Crab-ulous Noodles (與李蟹逅) ($198) - Little one said he wanted pasta (originally noodle soup but daddy asked him to re-consider) and as always, his wish was my command.

This looked pretty tasty. The pasta noodles, tossed with chives oil, cherry tomato, Thai basil, lime and lobster tomato sauce, finished off with a pile of fresh crab meat and chives on top. The pasta could have been a bit more al dente but nevertheless, a very nice East-meets-West dish. We have asked the kitchen not to add XO sauce to the dish as little one would be having it on by himself but even without it, it came with some spicy kick.


Ginger Bomb (破漿重圓) ($98) - This was the dish I always wanted to come back for. The ginger soup bomb was of course made with spherification from molecular cuisine. 


I was warned about the heat (not from the ginger, but the high temperature of the ginger soup) so I waited a while before sipping one into my mouth. Well, turned out it was as "explosive" as advertised. As soon as the thin gelatin on the outside exploded, a strong burst of warm ginger soup went straight through my throat (I think some into my lung). I couldn't stop coughing and 15-20 minutes (and a few trips to the bathroom) later, I finally got it out of my system. 

Anyways.....I noticed this being a little sweeter last time around (a bit lighter color too). The flavors from the peanuts and candied melon really didn't register (likely because of the explosion) but the heat from the ginger ever so powerful. As if I was having real ginger soup.






Food Rating: 6/10
Price: $$$
Address: G/F-1/F 8 Lyndhurst Terrace, Central, Hong Kong
Closest Metro Station: Central / Hong Kong Station
Tel: +852 2896-7688
Opening Hours: 12:00pm - 12:00am (Sun - Thu), 12:00pm - 2:00am (Fri - Sat)



Post a Comment

Please tell us what you think