Sunday, November 15, 2020

Dang Wen Li by Dominique Ansel 當文歷餅店 (Hong Kong, CHINA) ★★★★☆

It's been a few months since I last visited my favorite dessert shop in town so while I was at Harbour City this afternoon, I thought I should swing by for a quick visit. It was a little tricky though as Jelloman's off for her haircut so I will be one-on-one with the naughty kid.

My original plan was to dine in but little nugget took forever to finish his "work" at Toys R Us and I ended up grabbing a couple of pastries to enjoy home instead. Of course, I had to bring out my photo booth and get a few shots in before little one ruined the cakes.

Lemon Juice Box (紙包檸檬茶) ($62) - Still our favorite pastry here at Dang Wen Li by a country mile. My apologies for the color tone of these photos. Yeah I'm still tinkering with the lighting.


The Earl grey mascarpone mousse was again working really well with the bergamot curd giving us the feeling that we were really having Hong Kong style lemon tea. Very very nice.


When You Wish Upon A Star (摘星許願樹) ($65) - Somehow, we were all forgetting that Christmas is just around the corner because of the pandemic. To no one's surprise, all the shops are bringing out the Christmas decorations and for Dang Wen Li, it's their Christmas tree shaped cake.


I thought this was a Mont Blanc cake all the way but it turned out to be more. Inside the vanilla and orange whipped ganache, there were layers of silky and light chestnut chantilly cream and pistachio mascarpone cream all sitting on top of a crispy pistachio chocolate feuilletine and sable breton. All the contrasting flavors and textures in the different layers. Not bad!


P.S. They're finally doing a pop-up across the harbour at IFC next month. Stay tuned for more!




Food Rating: 6/10
Price: $$$
Address: Shop OT G63A, G/F, Ocean Terminal, Harbour City, 3-27 Canton Road, Tsim Sha Tsui, Hong Kong
Closest Metro Station: Tsim Sha Tsui
Tel: +852 2613-8618
Website: www.dangwenli.com
Opening Hours: 11:00am - 8:00pm daily



Post a Comment

Please tell us what you think