Wednesday, November 4, 2020

Bakehouse SoHo (Hong Kong, CHINA) ★★★★☆

I was back in Soho this afternoon and one of my hidden agendas was to check out Bakehouse (SoHo), a recently opened takeaway-only bakery shop and sister store of Wanchai’s Bakehouse brought to us by none other than master baker Grégoire Michaud.

Bakehouse SoHo

Despite a very small/sparse crowd showing up in Soho during late afternoon, I knew there would be a lineup outside Bakehouse (SoHo), especially when the place has just been opened for a few weeks’ time.


As expected, the chef’s signature slow-fermented sourdough bread, viennoiserie and sourdough egg tarts are all heavily featured in this new takeaway counter.

Bakehouse SoHo

And some new creations as well, such as sausage roll, beef Rendang pie, Tropezienne and more.

Bakehouse SoHo

I waited for about half an hour and finally, it was my turn to pick out my favorite bakery goods to bring home.

Bakehouse SoHo

Sourdough egg tarts - One thing was certain even before I entered the store; I had my mind made up on Bakehouse's popular sourdough egg tarts. The question was just how many pieces.

Bakehouse SoHo - Sourdough egg tarts

This was again very very nice. A bit like the Portuguese pastel nata but what made these so special was the sourdough croissant crust. Very nice as always. 

Bakehouse SoHo - Sourdough egg tarts

Matcha doughnut - I decided to grab a couple doughnuts here. Having already tried their passion fruit and hazelnut chocolate flavors (both just OK) in my previous visits, I opted for the matcha and vanilla (for little nugget) this time around. 

Bakehouse SoHo - Matcha doughnut

I thought the matcha flavored custard cream could've been a little richer with matcha flavors and the doughnut itself, well I won't mind if it's a little more pillowy too.

Bakehouse SoHo - Matcha doughnut

Tropezienne - The classic Tarte Tropezienne gets a new look here at Bakehouse SoHo.

Bakehouse SoHo - Tropezienne

This version infuses floral Tahitian vanilla into the pastry cream in between the olive oil brioche buns, which was topped with pearl-sugar. Not bad.

Bakehouse SoHo

It was nice to get this one out of the way quick and a bit to my surprise was the fact that the lineup wasn't as long as I first thought. 



Food Rating: 6/10
Price: $$$
Address: 5 Staunton Street, Central, Hong Kong
Closest Metro Station: Central
Tel: +852 2205-1911
Opening Hours: 7:00am - 7:00pm daily



Post a Comment

Please tell us what you think