Saturday, November 21, 2020

Bien Caramélisé (Hong Kong, CHINA) ★★★☆☆

When it comes to vegan and gluten-free pastries, Hong Kong is way behind the curve in comparison to other food capitals of the world. Bien Caramélisé, the city's first-ever plant-based pâtisserie is poised to change that and buck the trend in a big way. Located on the first floor an unassuming commercial building in Prince Edward (near the flower market), Bien Caramélisé is helmed by Jessica Chow, a former pastry chef at Grassroots Pantry and Nectar.



I thought I might have gotten the wrong address but finally relieved when I saw this sign on the wall. 


At Bien Caramélisé, Chef Chow recreates classic French pastries like eclair, Paris Brest, mille feuille and pâte à choux all without eggs, dairy, butter or processed sugar.


It’s early evening when I dropped by but I was surprised to see a full tea salon. More surprisingly, almost all the sweets were long gone except this hazelnut mille feuille ($66). I guess I should have called early.


I thought this tasted very different from a “normal” mille feuille. The first difference I noticed was the puff pastry which still had that rich, buttery flavor one would expect from a mille feuille and yes, it’s very flaky. But a few more bites in, I started to realize that it’s actually more corny than buttery. It’s like having a pastry made with corn flakes.


The hazelnut praline cream wasn’t bad though. 



Obviously, vegan glutin-free desserts aren't for everyone so adjust your expectations wisely.




Food Rating: 4.5/10
Price: $$$$
Address: 1/F Shop D, Hentiff Building, 160 Prince Edward Road West, Mongkok, Hong Kong
Closest Metro Station: Prince Edward
Tel: +852 5239-5198
Opening Hours: 12:00pm - 7:30pm (Wed - Mon)



Post a Comment

Please tell us what you think