Saturday, January 17, 2015

Royal Plaza Hotel Cake Shop (Hong Kong, CHINA) ★★★☆☆

As someone who was born with a sweet tooth, I am always on the lookout for desserts and cakes to sweeten up my life. Today I was just in the Prince Edward neighborhood to meet my parents. Before meeting up with my folks, I decided to drop by Royal Plaza Hotel's cake shop and see what they have in store for me.



Apart from the usual suspects, they've added some funky ones to the mix.




The newest additions include Hong Kong cha chaan teng's (茶餐廳) all-time favorite - rice with fried egg and red sausage as well as Japanese ramen!



The bowl of rice with fried egg and red sausage was in fact chestnut cake with crispy rice and sausage cookie ($58). It did look like the real deal at first glance but taste-wise, didn't exactly blow me away.



Slightly better was the mango custard ramen cake ($58).




Ramen cakes have actually been around for a long time in Japan and we came across a place called "Machi no Kuma-san" in Tokyo where they also offer soba cakes and tonkatsu cakes on top of their famous ramen cakes. So these really are nothing new at all except in Hong Kong.

Food Rating: 4/10
Price: $$$
Address: Royal Plaza Hotel, 193 Prince Edward Road West, Kowloon, Hong Kong
Closest Metro Station: Mongkok East
Tel:+852 2622-6256 
Website: www.royalplaza.com.hk/dining/cakeshop



View Larger Map

Post a Comment

Please tell us what you think