Wednesday, January 7, 2015

ATUM Desserant (Hong Kong, CHINA) ★★★☆☆

Perched on the 16th floor of the L. Place in Causeway Bay, ATUM Desserant has recently started a brand new trend in the dessert industry that might forever change the dynamics of the local dessert culture.

For months, I've heard about ATUM and how great their creation was so I went out and did my own research. It seems like ATUM is a collaboration between a few young pastry chefs and one of the co-owners used to be with Mandarin Oriental. The exciting part of ATUM is that they are able to make use of innovative molecular gastronomy techniques to make their dessert artistic and interesting.



I was just in the neighborhood and decided to drop by without a booking. To my pleasant surprise, there were empty seats available, though not at the coveted bar area and as a result, no "Improvisation" (their signature dessert) for me this afternoon.



I started with a welcoming drink of strawberry gazpacho with basil.




With
"Improvisation" out of the question, I went with Foie gras, which is a mix of apricot jelly, assorted veggies (carrots, beetroots, baby spinach) and foie gras mousse.





After dessert, I had a cup of tea while enjoying the pastry chefs preparing their signature
"Improvisation" in front of different customers.



I think having a dessert bar like ATUM is definitely good for the local food scene but are we getting a little overhyped about something which has been around for years, if not decades? Look at restaurants like Liberty Private Works, they've been doing desserts like these for years. That's nothing new to us so is it really worth the hype? My answer is a definitive no.


Food Rating: 4/10
Price: $$$
Address: 16/F, The L. Square, No. 459-461 Lockhart Road, Causeway Bay, Hong Kong
Closest Metro Station: Causeway Bay
Tel: +852 2956-1411
Website: www.facebook.com/ATUMDesserant


Post a Comment

Please tell us what you think