Saturday, January 3, 2015

Law Mark Kee 羅麥記 at VCity Tuen Moon (Hong Kong, CHINA) ★★★☆☆

2014 is the year of throwback cafés as many of them opened in different corners of the city to pay tribune to Hong Kong's cultural heritage. Among those, Law Mark Kee (羅麥記) and Tai Lung Fung (大龍鳳) were two that were making all the headlines.



It's my second visit to Law Mark Kee but only my first time at VCity. This looks a lot more spacious than the one near Tai Koo Shing.



I love how they decorate the place with all these posters and wallpapers about our past (mainly advertisements about movies, clothing, medicine etc.). It feels like we have traveled back in time with a time machine. But all these advertisements and posters (of coz fake ones) are really beyond my time. Probably my parents would know a little something about them.



This is a really adorable table pad they have here! It's a board game I used to play with my cousins when we were little.



OK, so much for my childhood memories here; now back to their food menu. It's a very comprehensive collection of some of the best-known "char chan teng" (tea restaurant / 茶餐廳) classics since their very existence.

In here, we will find pork chop buns, fried noodles with beef, instant noodles with chicken wings, baked rice with seafood and cheese. The list goes on and on.

Of course, what's a "char chan teng" afternoon tea without a Hong Kong-style "silk stocking" milk tea? (I thought not enough milk.)



Hong Kong-style milk tea with red beans. Well this one I never had when I was little, probably because I hate red beans!



Chicken wings in house special soy sauce. That was finger-licking good.



Red hot roasted pigeon. Who doesn't like roasted pigeon with crispy skin and super tender and juicy meat, raise your hand.



Another all-time classic from traditional tea restaurants - baked rice with beef tongue in a tomato sauce. This one wasn't very good.



Whether you want to re-capture some of that lost childhood memory or learn more about Hong Kong's forgotten cultural heritage, check out Law Mark Kee at a location near you!


Food Rating: 4.5/10
Price: $$$
Address: Shop 11, 1/F V City, 83 Tuen Mun Heung Sze Wui Road, Tuen Mun, NT, Hong Kong
Closest Metro Station: Tuen Mun
Tel: +852 2618-3703


Post a Comment

Please tell us what you think