Saturday, May 30, 2020

Kaneko Hannosuke 金子半之助 (Hong Kong, CHINA) ★★★☆☆

When Kaneko Hannosuke (金子半之助), one of the top tendon (tempura rice bowl) specialty restaurant from Tokyo announced the opening of its first overseas shop at Lee Tung Avenue in Wanchai, I was really looking forward to it. Its flagship restaurant in Tokyo is just a minute's walk from Nihonbashi station and best known for having some of the longest queues for a tendon. Little that I knew, they've already expanded their presence in the last few months to Kwai Fong and Tung Chung.


Since we were visiting Metroplaza in Kwai Fong this afternoon, I was able to finally check out their tendon.


Regular Tempura rice bowl ($98) - With only three items on the item, it really didn't take long for me to make up my mind (two of those sets came with conger eel which I absolutely hated).


This Edomae-style (traditional way from old Tokyo) composed of different tempura including maitake mushroom, shrimp (two of them), mixed seafood fritter (mostly squid), seaweed, snow pea.....


And a soft-boiled egg. We were supposed to finish half of the bowl and then started mixing up the egg with the rice altogether.


I thought the tempura rice bowl was pretty decent. The homemade sweet soy was really nice although I won't mind having more of that with my tempura and rice. The shrimp tempura was a little undersized if you ask me (comparing to the prawns tempura we had in Kumamoto, there's no match at all!).

I was a little disappointed with this to be brutally honest. While everyone was focusing on their tendon, I was more hooked to the pickled burdock. That really said a lot.



This is likely one and done for me. To be named "No. 1 tendon in Tokyo (日本第一天丼), I have just one word to respond to that, based on the particular tendon we had this afternoon - Overrated!




Food Rating: 4.5/10
Price: $$$
Address: Shop 107-108, 1/F, Metroplaza, 223 Hing Fong Road, Kwai Fong, NT, Hong Kong
Closest Metro Station: Kwai Fong
Tel: +852 2661-8212
Opening Hours: 11:30am - 10:00pm daily



Post a Comment

Please tell us what you think