Friday, May 29, 2020

Dang Wen Li by Dominique Ansel 當文歷餅店 (Hong Kong, CHINA) ★★★★☆

Two weeks ago, I finally got the green light that Dominique Ansel's original cronut is finally making its debut in Hong Kong. For a limited time of two weeks only, the chef will launch a never-before-seen flavor at Dang Wen Li by Dominique Ansel (當文歷餅店) in Harbour City. As we later learned on the social media, that flavor will be Lychee and Jasmine. I was still trying to figure out a schedule on when I should come and line up for these but J.E.R.K. is meeting up for dinner again (guess where!? Harbour City) so I thought I better leave work a little early to get myself some cronuts before the meal. It will save me another extra trip.


At 6pm, I thought I had a 50-50 chance of getting myself one of the Lychee & Jasmine cronut but to my surprise, there were 70 left the moment I started lining up. Odds were definitely on my side.


I ended up getting 5 of these, 3 of those to members of J.E.R.K. I'm sure the wives would love it~


This was my second experience with Chef Dominique's original cronut. My first one dated back to 2016 when I was in Tokyo. I vaguely recalled that the flavor was Hazelnut & Orange and I have to admit, I wasn't all that impressive with that combo. Let's hope Lychee and Jasmine would be a better match.


I was a little nervous about this half croissant half doughnut. The lychee icing, lychee jam and jasmine ganache...would they mesh with the flaky cronut?


I thought this was really really delicious. The dough itself was less flaky than I remembered it to be. Instead, it was more "chewy" (in a good way) than I originally expected. The lychee jam and jasmine ganache came through beautifully too. Luckily, I had one and a half of these reserved for myself so there're more than enough for me.



It was a really good debut. Let's hope they make the pop-up a permanent one with a different flavor every month!




Food Rating: 6.5/10
Price: $$$
Address: Shop OT G63A, G/F, Ocean Terminal, Harbour City, 3-27 Canton Road, Tsim Sha Tsui, Hong Kong
Closest Metro Station: Tsim Sha Tsui
Tel: +852 2613-8618
Website: www.dangwenli.com
Opening Hours: 11:00am - 8:00pm daily



Post a Comment

Please tell us what you think