Friday, April 10, 2020

The Cakery at CitySuper IFC (Hong Kong, CHINA) ★★☆☆☆

I have heard a lot of wonderful reviews about The Cakery and their products over the years (and a fair share of negative ones) but honestly, I wasn't paying much attention. Cupcakes, thanks but no thanks. I would rather reserve that extra quota for something else. It wasn't until most recently that I read about their rainbow mini keto cheesecakes. Since I have been doing my research for the top cheesecakes in town, I thought I should seriously consider giving it a shot.



And I eventually did during the first day of my Easter holiday. I stopped by their kiosk at CitySuper IFC right after bidding farewell to Jimmy's Kitchen. It has to be my lucky day. Six out of the seven different flavors are still there for the taking (Strawberry, lemon, blueberry, black gojiberry, black charcoal and matcha). Only the orange flavor was missing.



Rainbow mini keto cheesecakes - Blueberry ($78) - Gluten-free and keto; talks about eating healthy.



Judging by its presentation (in its a cylinder-shape), I thought it was going to be really light and soft, almost like cream cheese but it turned out to be the opposite. While not thick and hard like a New York style cheesecake, it's a lot more dense but far less creamy than what I have envisioned.



It came with a hidden centre of blueberry compote (or gel, I couldn't exactly confirm) but other than the acidity that came along with it, everything was bland. There's not much cheese flavor in there, nor sweetness we'd expect from a typical cheesecake (even gluten-free one). Not until later that I realized, it's a sugar-free cheesecake. That explains the lack of sweetness but lack of cheesiness?



No, I didn't like it at all.....




Food Rating: 3.5/10
Price: $$$$
Address: Shop 1041-1049, 1/F IFC Mall,, 8 Finance Street, Central, Hong Kong
Closest Metro Station: Hong Kong Station
Website: www.thecakery.com
Opening Hours: 10:00am - 10:00pm daily



Post a Comment

Please tell us what you think