Saturday, April 25, 2020

Big Grain 品穀 (Hong Kong, CHINA) ★★★☆☆

The story of Big Grain (品穀) hit the social media in the middle of 2019 when two brothers managed to build up a bakery franchise from scratch. Big Grain now with three branches in town attracts further publicity when it opens in Tsuen Wan earlier this month. Since I will be in need of a lot of bread for my upcoming tour of duty, I decided to pay their Jordan branch a quick visit this afternoon.


The elder brother who's the baker was in the house directing traffic in the kitchen. I hope they're making their almond, chocolate and matcha croissants in there now; otherwise, I have to settle with these plain croissants instead.


I'd like to check out some of their brioche too, these ones with chestnut and sea salt look pretty damn good.


The younger brother who's the patissier studied overseas in France I heard. So, not surprisingly, they have a small corner dedicated to his creations. These ain't cheap especially the chocolate tartlet. More on that later.


Classic Croissant ($24) - I have read a lot of raving reviews about their croissants so I thought my review had to start with one (I waited around for their almond croissant but no cigar!).


The cross section test didn't do it justice cuz of the knife I used (not nearly sharp enough). It was flaky and I thought pretty satisfying.


Ultimate Chocolate Tartlet ($50) - The name had me thinking Pierre Hermé's Infinity tart series. I'm sure they got some inspiration from that while thinking of a name for their own.


This tasted better than I first thought (and it looked). The chocolate ganache on top was rich and silky working well with the cocoa nibs and short crust pastry base. The only comment I had was that it was too rich with chocolate flavors so perhaps having a plain short crust pastry without the chocolate flavor might actually work better. Addition by subtraction I figure. 50 bucks is a little too heavy of a price tag to pay for a pastry in Jordan but I am sure they're using quality ingredients in there so I've no complaints about it.


I love supporting anything live and breathe Hong Kong so I hope to be back very soon.





Food Rating: 5.5/10
Price: $$$
Address: G/F, 61 Parkes Street, Jordan, Hong Kong
Closest Metro Station: Jordan
Tel: +852 3702-0186
Opening Hours: 8:00am - 10:30pm (Monday - Saturday), 10:00am - 10:30pm (Sunday)



Post a Comment

Please tell us what you think