Friday, April 3, 2020

Restaurant Petrus (Hong Kong, CHINA) ★★★★☆

I have been stuck with my "work from home" regime the entire week so I was happy to have an excuse to go out, albeit it's for a medical appointment. To no one's surprise, the medical centre was pretty empty today allowing my consultation to finish way ahead of schedule. Time for a quick celebration meal?

Admiralty, that will be Chef Uwe's territory.



It's been a while since I last visited Chef Uwe and Restaurant Petrus so I was absolutely ecstatic about it. As soon as I was seated, I looked over my shoulder expecting my server to offer me an envelope or two for my mask. It's pretty automatic these days when you're visiting a hotel restaurant but surprisingly, I had to ask for one (and ended up receiving two).



I already read Petrus' latest menu at home so it didn't take long for me to make up my mind. Once I got my orders over with, I was presented with some homemade bread along with a small amuse bouche, a cheese puff.



I'm not a fan of cold appetizers to start off a meal but this was interesting, sliced abalone served on a paper-thin sheet of white asparagus topped with fava beans and a hint of yuzu.



The sauce tasted a little like Hollandaise sauce with a touch of acidity from the yuzu. It meshed really well with the fava beans and white asparagus. On the other side of the ball, I had thin sliced abalone garnished beautifully with perilla flowers and dabs of abalone liver sauce. The refreshingly clean flavors of fava beans and white asparagus were the perfect match for the richness of the abalone and its liver.



Wonderful, wonderful start.



For my seafood dish, I opted for the chef's signature dish - his seafood spring roll. This time around instead of using Japanese king crab, he has swapped it with Brittany lobster. Excellent choice!



The dish was nicely decorated with powder made from lobster coral.



The spring roll was still piping hot when I cut through the middle. This was seriously delicious with the spring roll absolutely packed with fresh Brittany lobster. As usual, it was served with the chef's homemade aioli which has been infused with yuzu.



Served on the side was a Japanese-style steamed egg topped with celtuce.



After enjoying two dishes from the sea, I was bounded to have some meat to wrap up the meal and this would be my ideal choice - Tomahawk served medium rare.



The stellar tomahawk steak was superbly done.



The Robuchon-ish mashed potato not surprisingly came with lots of butter!



Two types of mustard for me to choose from.



But at the end of the day, I decided to skip the mustard and simply go with their homemade gravy. This was so succulent and flavorful from top to bottom. Not to be outdone were the confit carrots, very smoky and I didn't know how they did it but the texture reminded me a lot of burdocks. And I love burdocks!



Dessert was a very different kind of cheesecake that caught me totally off guard.



The burnt cheesecake which tasted more savory than sweet, was served with more cheese shaving!? No, it was actually white chocolate.



My savory cheesecake with white chocolate shavings and fresh Japanese strawberries.



The strawberries were tossed in a yogurt sauce so there was a bit of extra acidity there, offset by the sweetness of the white chocolate.



To me, this felt more like something from the cheese trolley than a real dessert. Very unique but at the same time a little weird because of its savory flavors.



As usual, the meal ended with a pair of freshly baked madeleine cake.



This was a really well-designed and executed meal from start to finish. You can tell there's been a lot of thoughts being put into each dish from flavors and textures to temperatures and presentation. Everything was well thought of, and I was not at all surprised that the restaurant was at full capacity despite the pandemic.

P.S. Special thanks to the good guys here for not charging me extra for ordering two main dishes for my four-course set. I know we're supposed to order two appetizers, one main and one dessert. But I would be more than happy to pay extra for this meal.

P.P.S. My apologies for the poor quality of the photos posted here. It has nothing to do with the lighting but everything to do with my camera which has been breaking down from time to time this week. I guess I better start hunting for a replacement.
 



Food Rating: 7/10
Price: $$$$
Address: 56/F, Island Shangri-La Hong Kong, Pacific Place, 88 Queensway, Admiralty, Hong Kong
Closest Metro Station: Admiralty
Tel: +852 2820-8590
Website: Link
Opening Hours: 12:00pm - 3:00pm, 6:30pm - 11:00pm daily



Post a Comment

Please tell us what you think