Monday, January 31, 2022

Sing La 星怡 (Hong Kong, CHINA) ★★★☆☆

My half day of work on Chinese New Year's Eve is finally drawing to a close. Now, I can celebrate a bit with my little one. For weeks, we have not been eating out but Jelloman hinted that if we could find a place with very little people, we could lift the ban for our pre New Year celebration.


I figured iSQUARE would be pretty quiet and for the most part, that was the case (except the New Year Bazaar that was taking place in the atrium). I have heard of this new Singaporean restaurant called Sing La (星怡) there and since both Jelloman and I are huge Asian food junkies (for different reasons), I decided to take them over for an early dinner at 5:30pm. As expected, we were the only guests in the house!


Teh Tarik – The Malaysian pulled tea was a little on the light side.


Grilled satay – Their turnip cake was all sold out so this was our second choice for starter. I am normally more addicted to chicken satay but I thought the pork satay was equally good today. The chef was slightly heavy-handed with the spices but we were fine with that except for little one.


Beef Rendang rice – We haven't had these for a long time. 


I love having beef rendang with steamed rice. It's such a good match. The beef was pretty tender (though not melt in the mouth type like Monsoon's), and the curry, coconut all right on the spot. It was great to re-visit this dish again.


Stir-fried Malay shrimp noodles – I was pretty tempted to check this dish out. I am not a fan of laksa type of Asian-style noodle soup but stir-fried noodles with a spice kick were definitely right up my alley.

This was very tasty. The oil noodles really meshed well with the tangy sauce and egg omelette, and the fact that there were loads of ingredients there (mainly seafood like shrimps, squid, scallop etc.) certainly didn't hurt.


Butter kaya toast – Of course, we weren't leaving without having one of these. In my opinion, this was the weakest link of the meal. The kaya was supposed to be infused with pandan but there was no sign of it at all.



Now, it's time to go home and get ready for Chinese New Year!





Food Rating: 5.5/10
Price: $$$
Address: Shop 303, 3/F, iSQUARE, 63 Nathan Road, Tsim Sha Tsui, Hong Kong
Closest Metro Station: Tsim Sha Tsui
Tel: +852 2117-1300
Opening Hours: 11:30am - 10:00pm daily


Post a Comment

Please tell us what you think