Tuesday, January 4, 2022

Old Fung Tea House Tsuen Wan 老馮茶居 (Hong Kong, CHINA) ★★★☆☆

With the relatively low number of Covid-19 cases in December, it's not surprising that the F&B industry is coming back strong to start the new year. New restaurants continue to open in different districts including Old Fung Tea House (老馮茶居), who debuts in Tsuen Wan this week.


Old Fung Tea House is an old-school dim sum place who made a name for itself in Yuen Long.


The throw-back decor matches the food menu perfectly. 


As soon as I was seated, I was given the food menu on a hard, laminated paper where I could write on top of for ordering my dishes.


What would an old-school meal be without these goodies, right?



Poached lettuce (高湯時菜) – Some vegetables to kick off the meal and stay healthy.


Steamed pork and shrimp dumplings with crab roes (蟹籽燒賣皇) – Very bouncy texture. I got a glimpse on why they're touted for having very good (and cheap) dim sum.


Cantonese sponge cake (片香馬拉糕) – My dessert came ahead of my rice dish but that's okay. This was very spongy and very nice. A little heavy to have the entire sponge cake all by myself but luckily I didn't order too much.


Steamed rice with marinated pork belly (蝦醬蒸腩仔飯) – A house specialty here.


The piping hot steamed rice was served up on a clay container. The highlight was of course the steamed pork belly which has been marinated with shrimp paste (蝦醬). Not bad.


Service barely passed but that came expected from a hole-in-the-wall dim sum place like this. Well, at least I didn't get yelled at by the servers.





Food Rating: 5.5/10
Price: $$
Address: Shop G30-G33, G/F, Kolour Tsuen Wan II, 68 Chung On Street, Tsuen Wan, NT, Hong Kong
Closest Metro Station: Tsuen Wan
Tel: +852 2366-8188
Opening Hours: 8:00am - 10:00pm daily



Post a Comment

Please tell us what you think