Saturday, January 14, 2017

Spiga (Hong Kong, CHINA) ★★★☆☆

Last December has been one of the quietest Decembers in recent memory when it comes to restaurant openings in the city. Replacing Lupa on the third floor of LHT Tower in Central, Spiga headlined just a small list of newbies making their debuts prior to the Christmas season.

Spiga has brought to us by Dining Concepts in collaboration with two-Michelin-starred chef Enrico Bartolini. I first heard of chef Bartolini when he was the consulting chef for the now-closed Venetian restaurant SEPA and he put together quite an impressive menu highlighted by some really exciting bite-sized cicchetti. As one of the youngest Italian chef to ever score two Michelin stars, my expectation is naturally high for his new project Spiga.



I had the pleasure of celebrating my birthday here a few years ago when the place was still called Lupa. If my memory serves me correctly, this is pretty much the same décor as it was under Mario Batali.



My lunch started off brightly with a nice set of house made bread following by an amuse bouche of fresh tomato, ricotta cheese on top of some bread crumbs. Pretty refreshing start.



Linguini with Sicilian red prawn and green asparagus ($258) - I have heard a lot of good things about Spiga's homemade pastas so it would be a huge mistake if I didn't start my meal off with one. I decided to give their linguini with Sicilian red prawn a go and it turned to be the best decision I made all day.



The linguini was perfectly al dente, working well with the lightly cooked Sicilian red prawn. Now I can finally confirm that they do have a killer homemade pasta!



Grilled Black Angus tenderloin with potatoes millefuille and "Crudaiola" sauce ($358) - For my main course, I thought I couldn't go wrong with one of their house specialties, grilled Black Angus tenderloin with potato mille feuille but that didn't work out as planned.

I thought the tenderloin was a bit under-cooked and the quality of the meat certainly wasn't up to my expectation. That was very disappointing considering that it's been labeled as one of the restaurant's signature dish.



Traditional tiramisu ($98) - Obviously, they sensed something was wrong after I left half of my tenderloin unfinished so my server came over and offered me a dessert for free. And I gladly accepted that offer.



I picked the traditional tiramisu coz I haven't had one for the longest time. Despite coming in a very small package (almost like bite-size), it was surprisingly good. Love the fact that it's soft and moist with the mascarpone cream covering a tiny layer of expresso soaked ladyfingers on the bottom. The amount of liqueur in there was nearly perfect. Pretty nice.



After the homemade linguini (which was excellent), it was a bit of a roller coaster ride but I was glad to end the meal on a high note with a complimentary tiramisu which was fairly decent. I think I probably don't mind coming back some other time as long as I can stay away from a certain meat dish.

Food Rating: 5.5/10
Price: $$$$
Address: 3/F, 31 Queen's Road Central, Central, Hong Kong
Closest Metro Station: Central
Tel: +852 2871-0055
Website: www.diningconcepts.com/restaurants/Spiga


Post a Comment

Please tell us what you think