Sunday, October 23, 2016

Red House Seafood (Singapore, SINGAPORE) ★★★★☆

As it turns out, not only did my friend Agent-I have a hand in deciding our lunch venue this afternoon, she also helped to hand pick my family dinner's venue too.



Red House Seafood (小紅楼) was a place that came highly recommended by Agent-I when I brought up the subject of chili crab. They have two locations in Singapore - Robertson Quay and this one on Printsep Street. From what I've heard from the online reports, they are considered in the same league as another popular seafood joint in the city - Jumbo, in terms of price and quality.



Braised spinach tofu and honshimeji mushroom topped with crisp conpoy (SGD15) - Mom can't finish a meal without having some tofu so this dish was just tailormade for her. It's supposed to be a house specialty here and after checking out one slice, I can confirm that it's really that good.



On top of each tofu slice was a layer of fragrant spinach (tasted a little like seaweed to me) with a little bit of crisp dried scallops. The contrasting textures and flavors combined well with the silky smooth deep-fried tofu. No wonder everyone was fighting for those extra pieces!



Crispy cereal prawns (SGD32) - Another signature dish at Red House. We had a choice of having these prawns with or without shells (cheaper without) but knowing full well that the crispy cereal would do well with the shell on top, we went with the former. This was very very tasty and everyone just love that super crispy and flaky texture on the outside. I personally took down half of that dish on my own when everyone was "preoccupied" with the salted egg yolk crab (more on that next).



Sri Lankan mud crab with salted egg yolk (SGD78 per kg) - We got to choose between the Sri Lankan mud crab and Scottish brown crab. Since we wanted something a little smaller, we decided to go with the mud crab which weighed in at around 700g (while most Scottish brown crabs were sitting at around 1.2kg each.)

We tried to do at least one chili crab on every trip to Singapore but since mom doesn't eat spicy, I made the painful decision to stir-fry it with salted egg yolk.

This was obviously not going to be as sexy as the chili crabs but it was a very solid dish. The crab was so meaty and flavorful (from the salted egg yolk) and we could tell that it's very fresh. Seriously, we didn't regret not having the chili crab at all.



Stir-fried broccoli with garlic (SGD15) - After all the seafood, some veggies to make us feel a little healthier.



While I came in here expecting something similar to Jumbo, I ended up getting a lot more. Service was simply superb. Our server was busy running around all night making sure that we had a good time and thanks to her wonderful work, we all did. I thought the tofu dish along with the prawns and crab were all excellent choices. And most importantly, I didn't have to burn a hole in my pocket, like I usually do at other seafood restaurants. Needless to say, I would definitely pick Red House over Jumbo on any given day.

Food Rating: 6/10
Price: $$$
Address: 68 Prinsep Street, Singapore
Closest Metro Station: Bras Basah
Tel: +65 6336-6080
Website: www.redhouseseafood.com


f 

Post a Comment

Please tell us what you think