Monday, October 10, 2016

One Minden Tapas Kitchen (Hong Kong, CHINA) ★★★☆☆

Capping off a very busy long weekend for us was another weekend brunch, our second in the past three days. I was really looking forward to this one because we're having something a little different. Instead of the usual seafood brunch, we are going to have all-you-can-eat tapas ($278) at One Minden Tapas Kitchen.



I was here about 10 months ago when they first opened their doors so I knew exactly what should be expecting from this weekend brunch - some hearty comfort food in form of tasty Spanish tapas.



First, we ordered some watermelon juice before firing away with all these different tapas from the buffet menu.



Chorizo broken egg - I had a slightly different version of their broken egg last time I was here that came with savory Iberico Bellota ham. This is definitely not a bad way to start things off with our brunch. I suppose one could never go wrong with fried egg, spicy chorizo and crispy potato straws together. 



Basque cod scrambled egg - More eggs to come, this time it was scrambled egg with the same supporting cast of potato straws but the chorizo was replaced by diced cod fish. I like the little bit of "saltiness" from the cod fish combining well with the egg and potato here.



Chicken and cheese croquetas - Patatas bravas and croquetas are two of my favorite Spanish dishes. While patatas bravas were not in the brunch menu, chicken and cheese croquettes were!

These were seriously good. The cream cheese just exploded in my mouth the moment I started chewing. The best tapas we had so far!



Piquillo cod brandada - I was expecting something along the line of the salt cod brandade from the French cuisine but turned out I was totally wrong. The cod brandada was more like a foam or purée here and it was stuffed inside a giant piece of piquillo pepper. Not exactly I was looking for but pretty nicely done.



Stuffed sardines - These were rolled up like a sushi with chopped green peppers, tomatoes and onion stuffed in the middle. I like the small dash of olive purée on the side providing something strong to the mix of flavors.



Seafood paella - Our server brought a pan full of seafood paella over to show us what they've just got out of their oven. This looks pretty good and smells even better.



This portion was just about right for me as I still needed to reserve room for other stuff. I thought the prawns and clams were very sweet but I'd like the rice to be a little more soupy (that's just my personal preference when it comes to paella).



Deconstructed suckling pig - Something from the a la carte menu. This is like a sandwich made with Iberico pork. Pieces of Iberico pork were slow-cooked and then put back together with pineapple purée firmly pressed in the middle. The pork was obviously very tender and I like the way they had the richness of the pork balanced out nicely by the sweetness of the pineapple.



This is a nice change of pace from the typical weekend brunch that is often seafood oriented. We will definitely gather more friends for our next visit so we can share more dishes together.

Food Rating: 5.5/10
Price: $$$
Address: G/F, 1 Minden Avenue, Tsim Sha Tsui, Kowloon, Hong Kong
Closest Metro Station: Tsim Sha Tsui / East Tsim Sha Tsui
Tel: +852 2722-1707
Website: www.oneminden.com.hk


Post a Comment

Please tell us what you think