Saturday, October 1, 2016

Pâtisserie Tony Wong Kowloon City (Hong Kong, CHINA) ★★★☆☆

It was an unusual morning for me, waking up early on a Saturday morning and taking a stroll in Kowloon City looking for a birthday cake for my little pumpkin.



This is something we've been doing for him every month. A brand new cake to celebrate another month of growth. But I kind of run out of ideas after 8 months (and 8 cakes) so I decided to take a walk on the old streets of Kowloon City, since they've got some seriously good cake shops right here.



Pâtisserie Tony Wong is one of the first ones I decide to check out. Not that I'm a Tony Wong fan or anything but I know they would probably have more variety in terms of whole cakes. 



After deciding to go for their "I Love Green Tea", they took it back stage to put my pumpkin's name on it. Suddenly, I have 5 minutes to kill and I thought I better put the spare time into good use.



Gold Medal ($45) - One of the few ones that I haven't tried here before. I have to admit, I'm not particularly into chocolate themed pastries but this one is a bit more intriguing than most of them. 

This all started with a pretty nice chocolate mousse, while cocoa sponge, jasmine creme brulee, jasmine ganache, chocolate sable, almond and hazelnut crunch were also in the mix. I thought the jasmine flavored creme brulee and ganache were the keys here giving the chocolate mousse cake some nice tea flavors but the combination of flavors didn't blow me away. 



By the time I finished my Gold Medal, my birthday cake is already sitting there waiting for me.



I Love Green Tea ($340) - This is yuzu chocolate mousse and green tea sponge cake sandwiched between silky smooth green tea mousse. I like the cocoa crumble and black bean there to give it a slightly contrasting texture but quite honestly, I expect a bit more from Tony Wong.







Food Rating: 6/10
Price: $$$
Address: G/F, 65 Fok Lo Tsun Road, Kowloon City, Hong Kong
Closest Metro Station: N/A
Tel: +852 2382-6639
Website: www.patisserietonywong.com


Post a Comment

Please tell us what you think