Sunday, August 9, 2026

Cafe de Papa Lai Chi Kok 一樂冰室 荔枝角店 (Hong Kong, CHINA) ★★★☆☆

I heard about this new cha chaan teng opening at Hoi Lai Shopping Centre (海麗商場) a couple of weeks ago. It’s a little far for me, but if they have a good iced milk tea, I won’t mind walking a mile for it.

Cafe de Papa Lai Chi Kok 一樂冰室 荔枝角店 [Hong Kong, CHINA] - New opening neighborhood cha chaan teng (local tea restaurant) Hoi Lai Shopping Centre (海麗商場)

Apparently, this Cafe de Papa (一樂冰室) chain has around ten branches across Hong Kong, mostly in residential areas. I bet it’s great news for people living here but they already have Seasons Cafe (四季餐廳) in the same mall.

Cafe de Papa Lai Chi Kok 一樂冰室 荔枝角店 [Hong Kong, CHINA] - New opening neighborhood cha chaan teng (local tea restaurant) Hoi Lai Shopping Centre (海麗商場)

Iced milk tea  The tea flavor wasn’t strong or robust, but you wouldn’t know it just from looking at the color. It was creamy and velvety smooth, though — and that’s what matters most.

Cafe de Papa Lai Chi Kok 一樂冰室 荔枝角店 [Hong Kong, CHINA] - New opening neighborhood cha chaan teng (local tea restaurant) Hoi Lai Shopping Centre (海麗商場)

Macaroni in tomato soup with grilled pork chop  The macaroni and tomato soup were quite decent. I could’ve done without the thick pork chop, which was a little on the hard side. Perhaps they didn't pound it properly on the chopping board?

Cafe de Papa Lai Chi Kok 一樂冰室 荔枝角店 [Hong Kong, CHINA] - New opening neighborhood cha chaan teng (local tea restaurant) Hoi Lai Shopping Centre (海麗商場)

Scrambled egg and butter toast  The scrambled eggs could've been more runny. The toast was fine.

Cafe de Papa Lai Chi Kok 一樂冰室 荔枝角店 [Hong Kong, CHINA] - New opening neighborhood cha chaan teng (local tea restaurant) Hoi Lai Shopping Centre (海麗商場)

I don’t see this as an upgrade or a downgrade from Seasons Cafe, which is almost right next to it. I guess it serves as a serviceable alternative.





Food Rating: 4.5/10
Price: $$$
Address: Shop 5-6, G/F, Hoi Lai Shopping Centre, 100 Sham Mong Road, Lai Chi Kok, Hong Kong
Closest Metro Station: Lai Chi Kok
Tel: +852 3514-6346



Post a Comment

Please tell us what you think