Monday, February 19, 2024

Red Bean Cafe Tsuen Wan 紅豆冰室 荃灣 (Hong Kong, CHINA) ★★☆☆☆

The post-pandemic era in Hong Kong has brought us a ton of casual dining restaurants with cha chaan teng (local tea restaurant) making up the majority of the newcomers. Another day and another new cha chaan teng opening doors this one in the heart of Tsuen Wan.



I came across another Red Bean Cafe (紅豆冰室) when I was shopping in Mongkok a couple of years ago. Not sure if they are in fact from the same ownership.


The set lunch started off with a daily soup as usual. I opted for the Chinese-style soup made with some kind of gourd (winter melon?).


While the soup was nothing special to write home about, the iced milk tea caught me by pleasant surprise. The texture was silky smooth with a nice balance of tea and milk.


I guess the team here was super busy (and unorganized) on opening day so not surprisingly, the seafood fried rice didn't come piping hot as I would expect it to be. This was marginally serviceable but a little more seafood and maybe some "wok hei" would be even better!





Food Rating: 4/10
Price: $$$
Address: Shop 023, G/F KOLOUR • Tsuen Wan I, 68 Chung On Street, Tsuen Wan, NT, Hong Kong
Closest Metro Station: Tsuen Wan



Post a Comment

Please tell us what you think